Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting another focus, lookin\' for "don\'ts"

Hey, I used to be on here as "HatchbackInBlack" but something bad happened.

My automatic tranmission was FUBAR..or at least the part of the computer that controlled it. Evidently my superchips chip had FRIED it...due to my improper install...though I don't think TAPE should be part of any performance part install. Anyways, with the car depreciated in value and barely drivable, I bought a 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo.

A nice car, that Supra, but not practical for what's coming..a family. My girlfriend found out in November that she had gotten pregnant. Now, we need an economical family car that we both can drive. She can't drive a stick, so auto is the way we have to go.

We're thinking about getting a new or slightly used ZTS sedan or even a ZX5 or ZTW, with an automatic transmission.

If we do get a focus, I'm gonna want to do SOME mods...what are some failsafe, trouble-free mods that I can do? And more importantly, what SHOULDN'T I do with it, considering it is an automatic and I want it to last?

[ 01-16-2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Roger B. Snow ]

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Re: getting another focus, lookin\' for "don\'ts"

How would a chip fry a transmission?

A chip was the first mod I did on my car. No real problems since then.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Get a loud exhaust (borla) with a race header so when the kid is screaming you can down shift and here exhaust instead of getting exhausted hearing the screaming!

You know you're safe with Intake, Wires, FS Exhaust, flex pipe for sure. A DS chip once the new ones come out. I don't know about a stiffer suspension though. I read a recent post on the HR Cup Kit being an improvement without massive bounce. Coilovers will probably be a bit much but I'm no expert. I have the Progress springs and they are a noticable improvement but nothing that would throw the lil bugger around. Header/Flex Pipe + Cat back I would gather would be too much noise.

Congrats on the new family member!

[ 01-16-2003, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: 140orbust ]

·
Registered
85 Posts

i would do short ram intake or drop in filter depending on how much money you want to spend

exhaust too maybe magnaflow since its quiet until you get on it...

i would go synthetic in the tranny and engine even though it isnt a mod

i would do things that get you better gas mileage

·
Registered
301 Posts

if you go with the sedan, I would go with the SVT suspension decent improvement with out being harsh, try to get a DS chip with just the shift improvements on it so you dont have to run premium. An exhaust would be nice but with a newborn, I dont know, maybe an iceman pick up a couple of ponies without the noise, synthetic oil and some B&M trickshift

·
Registered
427 Posts

My wife couldn't drive a stick when we first met. I taught her how. Now she loves manuals. What I'm getting at is don't rule out the manual tranny just cuz the GF can't drive one. Believe it or not, Women can learn.

·
Banned
227 Posts

Dont get a auto-tragic.

You've been burned once, why get burned again? If you really want a auto-tragic, then kick yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

What's wrong with the auto? I thought it was just my chip that made the computer go bad....what is it, really?

·
Registered
301 Posts

there's not really anything "wrong" with an auto there just being performance ****'s, if your gonna fuss with the kid (and you will) the autos the best way to go, it's one less thing to have do while driving

·
Registered
694 Posts

A manual isn't a big deal. My ZX3 is a manual and my Volvo wagon is a manual and I ALWAYS have my daughter in back. Get a manual, you will like it more and you'll never notice.
Oh, if I remember right it takes two to reproduce, I assume you had something to do with it.

·
Registered
103 Posts

If you want to give it an aggressive look and you want to drop it, get the intrax springs. It gives you an aggressive 1.5 drop (still will have plenty of clearance) and the ride is, compared to stock, about 85% of that so the ride is good

·
Registered
3,821 Posts

if you're looking to do mods the auto is not the way to go. the auto tranny in the focus sucks, bad. secondly, a hatchback is by far more practical than a sedan. you can just fit bigger stuff in it (like a tv, 4 wheel barrows full of firewood, etc.) as i do all the time. if you're looking for a family car a ZX5 or ZTW is vastly superior to a sedan. in fact, the SVT 5 door is coming soon i believe. no need to do mods with 170hp and a 5 door design.

if i needed a family car i'd definitely look into the 5 door ZX5 or even the SVT if i wanted a little extra. and ditch the auto, autos suck and aren't fun to drive. plus manual is better for bad weather (2nd gear starts + engine braking.)

Nate

EDIT: to answer your actual question (as we all seem not to be doing) i'd stick with minor bolt ons, avoiding anything that you can't install/fix yourself. i'd go with an intake, full exhaust, and UDP for power, staying away from chips, cams, and cam gears for the beginning. also, some suspension work like springs might help the look, wheels are always nice, and the right set of tires will do wonders for the performance of a car. after that you can get into the more tricky stuff, but if you're looking to go light i'd just go for bolt-ons.

[ 01-16-2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Bmorezx3 ]

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

If you're into performance, based on experience I would not recommend a automatic transmission unless you got extra $$$$ in your pocket.

·
Registered
321 Posts

I would not reccommend any mods about suspension, especially harder springs untill the baby arrives.

In fact I would rather consider your situation as a two step proccess; untill the baby and after the baby...

And I would steer out of any confort compromisses (like springs and aftermarket TB's that make the ride jumpier) untill the baby comes...

·
Registered
847 Posts

Originally posted by familyman:
A manual isn't a big deal. My ZX3 is a manual and my Volvo wagon is a manual and I ALWAYS have my daughter in back. Get a manual, you will like it more and you'll never notice...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ditto...driving manual becomes second nature very quickly. It's far more fun and you also save a few bucks that can be better spent on mods...um...I mean the kid

1 - 16 of 16 Posts