Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have a question about getting the head shaved, milled or decked in my 2.0 zetec. I know someone who can do it for 40.00 i want to know is it worth it? what should i expect can i still run nitrous(dry). I know my can will run a little hotter what should i expect.

Thanks

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: njfocus ]

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: njfocus ]</p>

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok. I'm no where near a 'car guy' yet. my honest 1st thought was that sounds a bit expensive for a hair cut.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That was to good!!!!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if it costs 20 dollars to get a hair cut where you are from then your head must be as big as a beachball.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for the tarts that don't know what getting your headshaved means is that a machine shops takes the head of your car off and decreases the size of it so that your cylinder is shorter meaning that the compression ratio is higher = more horsepower.....

So for all of the slow people out there stop trying to know what your talking about and this is something you can ask your mommy about

·
Registered
302 Posts
If the head is not warped, I feel that shaving is a drastic measure to get more horsepower. If the rest of the country goes the way we have in California you will only be able to get krappy 91 octane gas soon. I have an old Datsun with a shaved head and the thing pings all the time. Adding nitrous it seems would only make matters worse.

You can get added compression with timing (chip). If it doesn't work out you can put the chip back to stock. If you shave the head, you have to replace the whole head to get it back to stock.

·
Registered
302 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Phillip:
A chip *can't* increase compression. It can increase combustion pressure though.<hr></blockquote>

Yes you are absolutely correct, you cannot increase compression ratio with a chip. My point is that you can get more compression, or what you call cumbustion preasure with timing, and it is easier to reverse than anything you could do to increase compression ratio. Either one requires use of higher octane gas, and you get more power from the engine as the result. If your supply of high octane gas goes away, then you may regret shaving the head.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Phillip:

A chip *can't* increase compression. It can increase combustion pressure though.

I see these two terms being used as one in the same here in FocalJet often.

I've been told (on the FocalJet) a turbocharger increases CR. I don't believe it. Combustion pressures go way up but the compression RATIO stays the same.. IMO.
<hr></blockquote>

Most people say with a turbo you can increase the effective compression ration. Obviously the physical compressio ratio stays the same, but when chamber pressure increases due to more air, if you were to mathematically take the mass of air inside the chamber and then the volume after compression, you would see that the compression ratio is quite different

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So my question remains is it worth it to have the head (milled or decked) up here we call it shaving....I can get it done for cheap and if all else fails i can always buy a head at a junck yard or even ebay....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Just make sure you have adequate piston to cyl head and valve to piston clearances. You may also want to degree the cams at this time. I don't know what the max is the head can be shaved. Yeah we say shaved in Michigan too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
$40 is pretty reasonable and incredibly cheap if they will take the head off the car for you! There is a fair amount of labor and expertise needed to correctly pull a DOHC head and get everything back together right. Milled heads were failry common performance mod for V8s in the early 70s where iirc .030" was a huge shaving that left you with a lumpy idle and drivability issues. (But hey, 94 octane gas was cheap then!) Probably need to make sure that the valves will not hit the top of piston after milling. There could be mild cam timing issues due to the change in distance of the crank/cam pulleys. Ideal ignition timing may be affected also. (Chip time!) Might want to look around on some of the other car forums to see what other DOHC tuners (neons, hondas, etc.) are running into with this mod.

·
Registered
228 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Focusdaddy43:
I want your mommy to shave me, and I won't charge anything.
<hr></blockquote>

OMG. I'm crying from laughter...

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Giraffe_hauler:

You can get added compression with timing (chip). If it doesn't work out you can put the chip back to stock. If you shave the head, you have to replace the whole head to get it back to stock.
<hr></blockquote>

A chip *can't* increase compression. It can increase combustion pressure though.

I see these two terms being used as one in the same here in FocalJet often.

I've been told (on the FocalJet) a turbocharger increases CR. I don't believe it. Combustion pressures go way up but the compression RATIO stays the same.. IMO.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by njfocus:
for the tarts that don't know what getting your headshaved means is that a machine shops takes the head of your car off and decreases the size of it so that your cylinder is shorter meaning that the compression ratio is higher = more horsepower.....

So for all of the slow people out there stop trying to know what your talking about and this is something you can ask your mommy about
<hr></blockquote>

damn man...harsh for the new guy...but no i haven't heard someone say headshaved...milled and decked yes...only time i have heard of the head being shaved is from milled problems

·
Registered
460 Posts
The milling machine work by a reutable shop for $40. is reasonable. I got my head milled .060" during port and polish work. Focus Central mills there heads up to .070". That will increase compression about 1 point. The big job is removing and replacing the head. As part of a head rework process this is the least expensive item. It will provide more power but sure of the gain.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts