Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how to get rid of the egr???

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have to take out the actual equipment(the space ship looking thing in your engine compartment) then block the holes in the header and intake manifold. The EGR is connected to the header using a big bolt-like thing. Some people are taking the bolt off of the EGR tubing, and welding, or gluing a penny in the hole of the bolt to seal it. A guy over at club-focus.net is selling a plate to block the intake manifold hole (http://forums.clubfocus.net/viewtopic.php?t=13053)
Taking out the EGR may cause a CEL to come on so you might want a custom burned chip also.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got the focussport race header and did the work all myself. the actual pipe has a huge crack in it right at the right angle before it bolts onto the header. In desperation, I completely broke off the rest of it and like you said put a penny in there. Atually i put two. No cell has come on yet and the car is running fine. So, I guess I did it right. I'm going to leave it as is for now. I have a ford racing intake manifold that I'm installing next week. I'll check out that plate.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you guys know exactly what the egr is for. I've never seen it before on another car and don't see what use it has.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think it has something to do with recycling the exhaust gas so the emisions are cleaner.. i dont know for sure but also doesnt it bring the gases back thro the cat?

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
burns some of the exhaust twice for emissions

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
You guys are right, I do state inspections here in TX. It sends unburned fuel back in to the system to be burned to lower emissions. It is part of the emissions system on cars. I think it stand for Exhaust Gas Recirculation or something like that, dont rememeber exactly. What does removing the EGR do? Any add in power?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im pretty sure it stands for exhaust gas return???? whatever it does, its history on my car.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm also thinking of going with an aftermarket cat because i now have a completely open exhaust (fs race header, borla exhaust) and the car is extremely loud. I wont take the car past 2500 on the street because its so loud.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Yeah ill agree it is a waste on 4cyl. I have seen 4cyl with no cat pass the old emission test!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Some of the above posts are incorrect and/or incomplete.

You may want to see the post "egr option" in the FI forum. Go to FI and search "egr" and see "egr option" from Jan of this year.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
here is what the egr is the rest of you are not right
Exhaust Gas Recirculation
basicly it sends exhaust gas back into the intake during cruse between 1500 and 3000 rpm. it controls the NOx emissions. NOx is formed when combustion temperatures exced(sp) 2500 degrees. the burnt exhaust gas "takes up space" in the combustion chamber. the burnt gasses do not re-burn. it is like adding more air (cooling down the temp) with out affecting the air fuel ratio. because everyone knows a lean mixture is HOT combustion and rich is COOL

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Exhaust Gas Recirculation: It is indeed recirculated burned exhaust gases. It does take up space in the combustion process. It has ALREADY been burned. The function is to lower combustion pressures by taking up about 10% of the combustion mixture. EGR gasses WILL NOT burn again. So in effect it is similar to closing or restricting the intake charge. There is a smaller amount of combustable mixture, hence the combustion PRESSURE is lower. It is the heat and pressure which help to make Oxides of Nitrogen. Typical EGR systems are only active while in cruise mode. It should have no effect on WOT operation. Any comments or corrections are welcome.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
we are both right. the books say temp but in theroy it would also lower combustion peak pressure. but the bottom line is that it is for emissions.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I dont think you can just take your egr off.You have to shut it off in your computer also.When i got my car tuned or my turbo it was shut off.If you just take it out you will have an big vacuum leak and your car will run like crap.

·
Registered
489 Posts
jesus christo...take the 2 bolts out of the sensor where it goes to the intake mani...then take the gasket out and make one out of sheet metal...block the manifold side and put the bolts back in to tighten that plate one...dont worry the nutplates wont strip out...let the egr valve blow into the enviroment o its own..it isnt too hot to destroy anything, after all it does go into a plastic intake manifold.... dont forget to seal the metal plate to the tube when you tighten them nuts yo....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts