Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning buying the Ford Racing head over the summer. I'm chosing this head primarily because of cost. I can justify spending 750 on the head. I'm also planning on using some crane stage 2 cams w/ the head because it comes w/ stock springs and i may go FI later on and dont want the cams to be super aggressive. Any thoughts or recomendations on this idea? I'd love to get a FS or a FC package but i just cant afford to spend 2,000 bucks all at once. It would be nice. So my question is this. If i buy the cams and the head would this be something i could do in my garage over a weekend or a week? I'm a pretty decent mechanic. I feel very comfortable working on my car. If i was to encounter any problems I have a guy down the street who rebuilds panteras for fun to help me out. My final question would be this. What basically needs to be done to install a head? Nothing to detailed here...just a few of the biggies. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I swaped out the head in my focus in my garage in a day.....the installation was fairly easy enough. Some things you will need are new Head Bolts, Head Gasket, The Cam tool to set the timing up (basically a piece of 3/16 angle iron), and a set of Torx sockets. Be especially careful when removing the cam shaft cap bolts, be sure to use the right size torx screw or else you'll end up stipping them....and trust, they're no fun to get off after that. When removing the head I was help up by the bolt right behind the alternator....you have to remove the alternator from the bracket it sits on the get that bolt out, and the alternator isn't any fun to get back on either lol.....before putting the new gasket and head on, give the top of the block a good cleaning, get all that stuck on gunk from the old gasket off and so on....There's plenty of people here that have done it, so if ya have any questions on it feel free ta ask away, and you can e-mail me or IM me at [email protected]

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Pretty much what advanced said, ditto on the cam bolts especially. when you have the head off, take a pair of channel locks and move the sleeves in the mounting holes of the alternator out a little bit, it will ease in the installation process. This will also be a good time to replace the thermostat if you so desire. Check all of your vacuum hoses for chafing before you install the new head, I noticed a few spots that would have caused problems down the line.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I swapped out my head in about 5 hours. The best tool you can have is a ford service cd from ebay and some common sense. Good luck.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Originally posted by quicksilver:
I swapped out my head in about 5 hours. The best tool you can have is a ford service cd from ebay and some common sense. Good luck.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DITTO, but it took me 6 hrs, damn bolt behind alternator!!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awsome! I'm really look'n forward to this. Its sounding like a fun little project. Thanks a bunch everyone. I'll book mark this thread and bring it up a bit later on

--EDIT--

Just another thought here. I've pretty much got all the bolt-ons covered minus a TB, a new MAF, and cam gears. I prolly wont do the gears until after the head gets done cause there's no point in wasting money to tune the stock cams if they're just going to be removed in 6 months. The issue i was going to bring up was fueling. I would think after the addition of this setup I would be pushing atleast 150hp. Some have said the stock injectors wont provide enough fuel past 150 and some say they will. Should I go ahead and look into getting MIC setup from tom as well?

[ 12-03-2002, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Wedge1212 ]

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by quicksilver:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">anyone know if their is an ISO of the CD running around....maybe Axon has one...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i've been watching the long thread the past couple of hours and it doesnt look good...i think i maybe saving for a FC head

·
Registered
222 Posts
i finally saw the dyno specs from ford on the head and it was not at all impressive. naturally they used all ford parts and FR cams which are cranes. it didnt give any torque specs and the on one of the setups they had the max power it made was like 175 at the fly so by the time it gets onto the ground you are looking around 150. i think i will save the money for a Focus Central package.

just my opinion. not tryin to hate anyone for tryin something new.

geoff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts