Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah im looking for some great sound for my ghetto focus. how loud would an 18" glasspack be on the old zetec. appreciate your input.

phil

·
Registered
400 Posts
Those things just drone too much on our little engines.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
We've had a glasspack muffler on our Z since Dec. of 2000.

It doesn't do jack for performance, and it is damn loud!

We removed both the mufflers(muffler, rear resonator) - Had them weld in the glasspack and 2 1/4in piping where the mufflers were.

Cost $100.

Sure it's loud, but every single person who has ever rode in or drove around with us has given us compliments on it.

I know TooleBox loves it!

We do! Off throttle popping is extreme, very loud, somebody asked us if our car was backfiring once, just kinda chuckled, because that is what is almost sounds like, but alot less disturbing.

It really just sounds like a full on race motor with an open exhaust.

The best way I can describe the sound is:

It rips, sounds evil, sounds like it wants to kick somebodies arse - Ya that's about right.

One of these days, we will put a nice full open exhaust on and free up the Hp and Tq the stock tubing, cat, exhaust manifold are holding up.

But until then, we consider $100 well spent.

- Drew

[ 10-03-2002, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: focusownerskid ]

·
Registered
210 Posts
Watch out for the louvered type glass pack. They can cause more back pressure than stock mufflers and lower mpg too. They work good if you use an over size like a 2 1/2" or 3" so that the louvers dont hang down and interrupt the exhaust stream. I would recommend you find a muffler shop that carries a Flowmaster or one of the clones there are several (cheaper too).Have them weld one of these in place of the front muffler. Then remove the rear one add a short piece of 2 1/4" pipe and a tip. You will like the results and if you shop around you can get that done for around $120.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by focusownerskid:

We do! Off throttle popping is extreme, very loud, somebody asked us if our car was backfiring once, just kinda chuckled, because that is what is almost sounds like, but alot less disturbing.

It really just sounds like a full on race motor with an open exhaust.

The best way I can describe the sound is:

It rips, sounds evil, sounds like it wants to kick somebodies arse - Ya that's about right.

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's the sound of an unrefined 4 cylinder for you. Its a lot like the 2.2L cavvy but not quite as bad, and similar to the neon. I really hate popping exhuasts they sound so queer, but ricers sure love them. But then again its not about going fast its about sounding/looking fast isnt it

·
Registered
733 Posts
WRC cars sound unrefined as well....
They have setups to make them pop purposefully.
And as we all know WRC cars are pretty slow especially the 206...

They must be Rice....

·
Registered
803 Posts
No the Neons and 2.2 GMs sound "blatty" like someone blowing too hard on a brass instrument. The focus has really distinct pops. Kind of like a high compression V8 slowing down. Actually... most of the Neons with exhaus that I've heard are louder on deceleration than acceleration.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by RiTzBiTz:
WRC cars sound unrefined as well....
They have setups to make them pop purposefully.
And as we all know WRC cars are pretty slow especially the 206...

They must be Rice....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">WRC cars have something most ZX3's dont. TURBOS. That popping noise is an ALS (antilag system) or bang-bang system. It dumps extra fuel to rich out the engine when you let off the gas, so that the exhuast temps ignite the unburned fuel and keep the turbo spinning.
Its not rice if it has a purpose. Thats why flames come out of the tailpipe too. WRC cars arent really slow, they have a decent amount of power for what they compete in.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by spankenstein:
No the Neons and 2.2 GMs sound "blatty" like someone blowing too hard on a brass instrument. The focus has really distinct pops. Kind of like a high compression V8 slowing down. Actually... most of the Neons with exhaus that I've heard are louder on deceleration than acceleration.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It all depends on the quality of exhuast. All three cars have unrefined fours, so they dont exactly sound cool. As far as a high compression v8 sound? Keep dreaming...a friend of mine also swears the mustang V8 sounds like our 4....i just tell him to not think his car is cooler than it really is.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Your opinion is just that...

...your opinion.

Can't argue with ya over that.

- Drew

·
Registered
294 Posts
Your opinion is just that...

...your opinion.

Can't argue with ya over that.

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Very true. IMO the best exhuast for a four banger is one that keeps it quiet. I'll listen to a v or flat engine all day, but those damn inlines....

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Boxer 4 Burble.

- Drew

PS, like I said, the loud-aggresive tone is good for us now. But one of these days, it will be opened up and nice a quiet.

[ 10-04-2002, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: focusownerskid ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Boxer 4 Burble.

- Drew

PS, like I said, the loud-aggresive tone is good for us now. But one of these days, it will be opened up and nice a quiet.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah i miss hearing that everyday

1 - 15 of 15 Posts