Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word has it that GM is extending the employee discount promotion. They're plotting to go on air with the advertising on Wednesday, one day after the promotion was scheduled to end.

I'm not sure what the read on this is?

Is this GMs way of moving inventory cuz sales have been sluggish? Methinks so. If it was just a gimmick promotion, they wouldn't extend it... but they need to extend it to move inventory I'm guessing.

Doesn't surprise me. They haven't made a good car in years.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
i think sales were up some 40% or something for last mth because of the promotion

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yes, but I think Todd's point is even with 40% greater sales at no profit or a loss doesn't bode well with the accountants or the stock market. However if the inventory is so freaking high, that's money not in the bank and looks even worse to the accountant and the stockmarket, so it may be a way to even things out.

The prices are great, I just wish I could afford to buy another car right now.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
GM is a big company, they have some decent cars.

I tried to convince my dad to buy a Saab 9-2x in silver (coughnicerWRXcough), but he wouldn't have any of that.
Its still kinda funky looking, but not nearly as weird as the actual Scoob. He did express interest in the H3, but I'm not a big SUV fan and if he did want one I'd probably lean him towards something like the Vue or Equinox.

The Cobalt SS would be really attractive at that price point. Shame the GTO doesn't get more manly styling, but their Solstice and Sky look fun, but I guess those are still a couple months off huh?. Can't afford any of the sweet new Caddies (can we say CTS-V?) even at these prices though... dammit!

Its good for their short term. It'll temporarily boost their stock to keep their investors happy, and it gets people talking about GMs. They're definitely hurtin, but going-out-of-business sales are always the best, heh!

BTW here is an intereesting tidbit from www.autoblog.com w/ the exact #s y'all are talking about (check SUV sales):
----------------------------
http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000627049166
GM’s Employee Discounts For Everyone program certainly improved sales, with the company picking up an additional 41% compared to June 2004 and grabbed 32.8% of the new-car market. That’s an amazing success (although whether or not GM is making any money from those sales is a different question). GM’s truck and SUV sales were up 76% overall, with full-size pickup-truck sales more than doubling despite increased fuel prices. Amazing.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I doubt GM's loosing money with this deal. With the employee pricing, you may save a couple hundered on the price. Now with the rebates, your getting screwed. Last month, the Siverado had a $5000 rebate. It's only $3000 now. I told my bro-in-law to wait a month or so.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The big Saturn, Caddilaic, buick around here has CTS-V's for like 46k.

I'd hit it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts