Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think i should? I have the crower stage 2's in my car but from what Ive read you lose alot of torque down low and it feels as if thats whats happened. They are also making my car idle like crap, so much that my intake or something is rattling on something in my engine bay and making me mad.

When I got them I was set on making this car scream and I used to go to the track about 2 times a month but that has since stopped. I just want it to be real fun to drive around town.

The Fidanza cam gears i have are screwed up cause I stripped some of the adjusting studs and now that I have it at where its resonable to drive I dont want to even mess with it cause im afraid that the rest of them will also strip. When I first put the cams in the car was dangerous to drive cause I would be sitting at a stoplight and Id go and the car would die for like 3 seconds almost making the person in back of me hit me then it would go. I have them adjusted to where It goes but it still doesnt feel right and as i said before it runs like crap.

My friend with a honda used to like my car cause unlike his it had a better take off from the torque and he even told me its pretty bad now. Sorry for the long post but id like to know what you guys think. Hell you may even get a set of used cams for real cheap.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
stick it out...that adj bolt on the fidanza's is cureable....call ray at mcnews 4 the solution/any warranty help.

yes while, other cams tend 2 have more low 2 mid range, the crower's forte is up top. u cant fight that, hence u should by cams based on ur needs. but now that u have them. tune the car up where u like it...not by how much peak hp u get. u can tune the car up w/those cams so that there's more low and mid range, but maybe u lost a couple ponies on top. thats no biggie, think of how much time ur spendin at 1 range over the other.

it'd b a shame 2 go thru all u went thru, breakin cams, multiple installs, time, and $$$ only 2 pass on them b/c of 1 or 2 lil naggin things that can b solved easily.

-Ult

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats true, thanks.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Another thing you could try is to just put the stock exhaust cam back in. It should give you back some low end with taking all of the top end away.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Originally posted by Cameroon:
Another thing you could try is to just put the stock exhaust cam back in. It should give you back some low end with taking all of the top end away.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the debate is still out on that 1...mixed reviews, who knows...but he should work w/what he's got.

wonder,

there's a wealth of info on the site bout different cams and their pos/neg. thus, if cams r in the cards 4 u soon, then u can make a choice based on what 1 gives and what u want.

-Ult

·
Registered
375 Posts
Check to make sure the cams were put in at top dead center. One may have slipped during tightning. When all else fails, use the ol screwdriver in the #1 and turn the crank manually till it (piston) is highest, then tighten Your idle should be fine with those, just the timing is off. If you can afford it, really recommend a dyno tune. Have been really happy with my CII's, don't give up! http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011693

[ 02-22-2003, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: 1BadEgg ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
dig further, on each stage of cam, and other cams...then compare lb 4 lb. u'll c they do better up top but lose a lil, naturally, down low.

some people have modded alot and tuned 2 get more outta them at lower rev's but u have 2 look at most of the accounts that r close 2 where u r mod-wise

-Ult

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by nazthug:
my stage 2's idle like stock

my suggestion? LEARN TO TUNE THEM
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, im sorry, I didnt know that. Perhaps you can teach me exactly how to do that.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
My crower stage 2's idle like stock.
:shrug:

But yes, they do not provide low end power. it feels like stock until you hit about 4500, and then boom. more power.

As soon as I got my raceheader/flexpipe installed my power hit at 3000 and I got even more power up top.

If your cam gears have slipped (sounds like Fidenzas are in really bad shape) then y ou probably are experiencing really bad timing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i just went out and for about an hour messed with my cam settings and im happy to say that the idle is nice and smooth and down low it feels a little better. In the high revs it seems a little weaker but ill be damned if its not fun to drive. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the Crower Stage II cams and this exactly same problem..the low end punch around the city was nothing what it once was mostly stock...I had my power at 150whp+ and 142ft/lbs TQ..lot of TQ you say? yes..but it was all very high in band..I took off my Crower Cams, my race header, pro flow, fc tb...all I have now is two pullies, flex pipe, exhaust, diablo chip..and this thing feels way way way stronger on the bottom end!!wayy wayyy!!! My car felt like to much of a honda and not making power until after 16,000RPM

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
YES to 4000 it feels like stock

whats the problem with that? Stock has plenty of lowend, what it DOESNT have is top end...FOCUSES dont have top end, so a cam that wakes the top end up is what is needed....

I could car less about a cam who makes more power below 4000...this car already has torque, it has NO topend...

hell, the most succesfull dynoes on the jet have been done with crowers 2s

Look at davids wagon, 146whp mostly due to the cams, and check out his torque curve, that car is a blast to drive for a wagon especially

Im just helpin you out man, the cams are great, its the tuning that needs to be adjusted...but you dont have to listen to me, anyone that goes from crower 2s to stock for some reason, obviously has the wrong reason....cause i know its not the cams

·
Registered
799 Posts
from your story that your car almost died, and indangering other drivers from your car stalling, i say you either get them setup/installed correctly and professionally, or go back to stock. no point in risking your life, losing performance of your car and reliability. my car is still stock. it might not be fast but it looks good appearance wise, drives great and gets me to work and school safely, but that's just because i'm too afraid to do any real mods to the engine and risk drivability. someday i will save up and trade this car in to get a wrx.

[ 02-24-2003, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts