Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Speedtrialusa.com" fairly well known group out here in Ca. but they run in the midwest too.

Going to instruct for them and watch how they do things...well and lap the mustang just a little.

Let you know the results...its at buttonwillow tomorrow

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow first off. It was so hot, man...well the good stuff. They had a very unusual training put on by Mike Peters whom is also in charge of instructors out here with NASA.

They had very light attendance. Which was great for training. A whole session starting at about 40 mph and just doing lines. (85mph is a good advanced level) then worked up to about 60.

Had a joint 4 group 2X2 build up of speed door to door. Interesting....

Then had a passing session

Saw a jetter there whom was getting it on with much higher vehicles. Ancon I think was his name...he had just changed suspesion and I was able to put a few laps on it. Great car!!

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I'm really making an effort to get in front of every instructor at these events in Ca. I want to watch, learn, and improve on whats in place. Based on what I saw, based on the other handfull of instructors there, Craig and I are right on target.

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
I'm trying to figure out a way of making it to the event at pahrump. I want to play on the new track!!

·
Registered
2002 Sonic Blue SVT
419 Posts
9/21 at Big Willow is a go. Its my birthday, so bring a present!
Had to promise the misses a Vegas trip, so Pahrump looks good for me.

·
Registered
2002 Sonic Blue SVT
419 Posts
The 9/21 event is actually 9/23, and I will be in Lauglin that weekend. While I am squeezing 400 horses from my big block, I will think of you guys.
Come on Allan, you know you want to go to Pahrump.

·
Registered
764 Posts
On the way back from 4 HOT days water skiing at Lake Nacimiento, I stopped by Buttonwillow to check out the Speed Trials event myself [Sunday]. Lots of interesting cars there.

There was a "white Focus SVT" with a JRSC running pretty quick out there. He's a rally guy running a reskinned SVT, who prefers to slide around the tight corners "for the fun of it". Thus the 2.20-2.25 times. He was real quick everywhere else on the track. Nice guy. I'll post pic's of his car some time soon!

·
Registered
50 Posts
They had a very unusual training put on by Mike Peters whom is also in charge of instructors out here with NASA.

They had very light attendance.
I am suprised that they had light attendance. last time I ran with them (May), they had over 100 cars. I think it is because of that STI crash last month (a speedtrialusa event) that cut down the attendance.

They have the weirdest beginner format. you run in groups, and pair up next to each other. 2 columns all the way around the track. I thought that was strange. as you don't learn any lines at all.

I've ran with all groups, Redline is best and Speedventure is also pretty good.

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hear you...but they have a close lead and follow before the close 2x2 (which it to get folks comfortable with off line issues) its worked pretty good as both my students were quicker than the ave int student. But it is subject to volume for sure.

Bellwilliam...have I met you?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Saw a jetter there whom was getting it on with much higher vehicles. Ancon I think was his name...he had just changed suspesion and I was able to put a few laps on it. Great car!!
Yup. That was me! Had a lot of fun with PLENTY OF ROOM on the track. Things were hotter that **** out there though..

Special thanks to teh Slidemaster for his input on the new setup!!
I've got the suspension where I want it now.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No, I'm really making an effort to get in front of every instructor at these events in Ca. I want to watch, learn, and improve on whats in place. Based on what I saw, based on the other handfull of instructors there, Craig and I are right on target.
I thought so too! I got the impression they were quite appreciative of your help as well. (I know I was too...) Then again there's always room for another instructor out on track.
You can never get "enough" instruction..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bellwilliam...have I met you?
yes, I was the one driving a silver GTO in last few events. my buddy was driving a silver SVT. I have not driven the SVT on track yet (always took my leased GTO instead), will take the SVT at next track event.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts