Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warranty is out and I have searched and searched the FJ data base for a good fix it thread but am not completely satisified...

So I come in search of light on this subject to help me save some cash and help another jetter do the same.

My car has not moved for over 3 weeks because of this problem.

What is the cheapest and easiest way to fix this myself?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
oh good luck... i tried the same route and judging by what i had to do, i was too scared to try it so i took it to a dealer.

what made me even more scared was the fact that the dealers themselves admitted that there is a good chance that they would break something else in the process of removing the cylinder lock (multiple dealers said this) so i was like "ummm, if they are certified, and i am not, and they sometimes break it, i reckon i'll let them have a go at it before me."

which sucked, cuz i ended up paying like $250, but it was better than me busting my steering column or whatever while trying to fix it myself. i didn't trust myself with the whole drilling aspect.

the thing is, ask around, cuz the price for this repair varies significantly from dealer to dealer.

mine broke on me 280 miles or so after my warranty expired, and they wouldn't give me a break

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
mine did this. I fought with my key till it let go. pull outward firmly (not with all your chromey might, please) while wiggling the key up and down, and maybe try turning the key a little, too. It took me 10 minutes to get my key loose, but I'm an amateur locksmith. There's a nasty gouge in my key from it, too. After I got it loose, I used an age-old locksmith trick that loosens up tight lock cylinders: Graphite powder. Squeese a few bursts into the keyhole and move the key in and out 5 times. Put more powder in, move the key in and out 5 times. Repeat a third time. Every month or so I just puff a little graphite into the keyhole. I haven't had the problem since. If that doesn't work, it's time for a drill and some expensive parts. I haven't ever had to do it, so I don't know where exactly to drill or which parts you need.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
yeah, i tried the graphite powder method and it didn't work at all. but that was far past the time where i could wiggle my key to get it in and out, i went through that stage a few months prior to the episode where i couldn't get my key in at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same problem.I had to keep the key inside of the ignition so i can use the car.Then i took the car to the dealer and they fix it in 45 min. and everything cost me $240.00

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah this is a tuff one. I tried WD-40 in the ignition and did not help. Could not get a hold of graphite powder.

Had the day off and spent most of it roaming around the streets of Tijuana Mexico looking for a lock smith that could fix it cheap.

First lock smith gave me a ride to the house where it was parked and looked at it for about 15 minutes then gave up. His charge was $5.

Next lock smith was a certified Ford tech that gave me a ride to my car and worked on it for awhile then got the iginition lock out and took it with him and returned with it fixed like brand new. That cost me $70.

So my second ignition problem is fixed again. The 2nd lock smith told me that he has fixed many Foci with this problem. He had a box full of broken Ford Foci ignition switches.

I know there is a thread in here some where about a do it yourself fix it kit for this problem but from what I read it is kind of hard to do it.

So this is a tuff one. If anyone has easy do it your self step by step´instructions please post them.

This is the second time this happend to my 2000 ZX3 Focus and I got a feeling it will go out again.

Good luck with this one everybody. Ford needs to recall this part.

·
Registered
234 Posts
This happened to me and until I could get it fixed, I put the key in then hit it pretty hard with the side of my fist 3 or 4 times, jamming it in there harder then is would turn.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Go talk to ford. My warranty was up buy they said there was a TBS about it or something. Mines was replaced for free, they say this is a problem they are always dealing with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts