Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Bosal exhaust now and it makes this terrible buzzing sound through different rpm bands. I was wondering if there is any exhaust that sounds smooth with a raceheader. I know it's going to be loud but I just want something that doesn't buzz.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Stay away from the FS exhaust w/ race header.I have one,and the thing is LOUD
.It screams "LOOK AT ME!!!".Esp to John Law
.Sounds like you're doin' 30 over the limit when your not speeding at all.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
My plan for running a race header will be to contact the fine folks at YoDude and have them make me a Magnaflow (or Borla, whichever is quieter) and add a resonator in the long center pipe. Should work pretty well, I hope.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
If you do go with the FS Exhaust with a race header, just go for the quiet option, virtually sounds like a Foci with just the exhaust by itself.

A few of the exhausts that have a good tone with the RH are; Bosal(if you don'e like the loudness, you can buy a separate resonator), HKS Hyper System, Thermal R&D.

Atleast those do, IMO - Different folks, different strokes.

- Drew

·
Registered
855 Posts
Okay, I know I'm an idiot, and I've been waiting for the Bosal Cat to come out, but the money is too tight. Is it cheaper to go raceheader? What would I need to make it run without any problems. I already have the Bosal cat back, and will there be any problems with a chip later if I run the raceheader?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mind if the exhaust is loud, I just hate when it makes buzzing sounds like it's cheap. I just want something that sounds smooth, no added sounds other then my motor.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by ModifyYourFocus:
I don't mind if the exhaust is loud, I just hate when it makes buzzing sounds like it's cheap. I just want something that sounds smooth, no added sounds other then my motor.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here's a hint that buzzy sound is the motor. And it is cheap. A cheap american 4 cylindar, its going to sound buzzy and unrefined. The best exhaust will smooth out the actual engine noises. Thats the way to go. Either that or buy a car with a better engine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the Focus Central race header with the Borla cat-back exhaust(2.5" piping!)and it sounds really nice. It is not high-pitched or raspy at all. It is loud but has a really deep, throaty sound to it. Very intimidating!

Laterz!
Gerardo Garcia III

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by Yel900rr:
The new 2 1/2 inch MBRP. It sounds really sweet.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That with a race header has to be one of the loudest combos i've ever heard. Right next to the vibrant. It just goes to show how different people's opinions are. I cant stand that type of noise, some people think its cool. The best solution i can offer is for you to go out and hear the different combos in person. That's the only way to really know what it sounds like.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have the Focussport Race Header and Bosal cat back..this thing sounnddd soooo niccceee! airforcefocus can vouch for that..not loud at all..

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
I run a custom made open exaust with a Supertrapp on the end. I can adjust the back pressure and the loudness of the exaust whenever I need to.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I tried going to the EPA's web site on vehicle emmisions and it about blew my mind. I didn't even bother trying to decifer all the differant articles and appenditures.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Look into damping! Everywhere the exhaust is attached (especially the muffler/pipe thing)

Just a thought, maybe enough, maybe not

·
is THE most interesting man in the world!
3,514 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
I have the Focussport Race Header and Bosal cat back..this thing sounnddd soooo niccceee! airforcefocus can vouch for that..not loud at all..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can vouch for that for sure! Great sound, mine is slightly quieter with the FS race header and quiet option, but I was really impressed on the way Vince's sounded.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know this might be a stupid question but doesn't having a "race" header on your focus prevent it from being street legal????

·
Registered
264 Posts
i believe that depends on where u live and if u have emissions tests and so forth, I dont have emissions in ND so im fine.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Originally posted by foci-guy:
I know this might be a stupid question but doesn't having a "race" header on your focus prevent it from being street legal????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You have a PM from me.

·
Registered
745 Posts
contrary to some peoples belief tampering with any part of the emissions equipment is illegal not from inspection point of view but from deviation from manufacturers specs unless replaced by a CARB certified DIRECT replacment.

some people will add an aftermarket cat for conscience or to pass sniffers but a visual inspection will get you a nice little fine depending on the mood of the insuing pig!

·
Registered
745 Posts
ps - i have the steeda race header with flexpipe and a magnaflo...we don't have emissions in MN either but violating noise ordinace will get you a visual inspection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts