Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to get some new RA-1's in the next few weeks. Anybody know of a good place to get them? Tirerack doesn't carry Toyo. I know I can get them at Discount Tire locally, just wondering if anybody knows of any place with a good price.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Re: Good source for Toyo RA-1s?

we are buying fresh used ones from bimmerworld...235/40/17 for either more used $50 each or $100 for nearly new....just got 2 more today and god do they last...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

gary do you have a number for bimmerworld, or do you need a personal relationship? that's the exact size a friend needs for his car...

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

no prob..you can e mail james at [email protected] or call him at 540 639 9648....james said he was a bit low when i talked to him monday but they usually carry about a hundred...deal is they get a scad of free toyo's for every speed world weekend..the good ones are sold used...some seem to have only been used for one cycle..nice part is you know they have been definitely heat cycled..and we have had phenomanal results ....we have 3 sprint races, one enduro and 5 more track days on the ones on the car now...keep looking and wondering when we need to use some of the spares..what james tells me is that they last and last but it is very easy to tell when they are cooked..they basically go away very quickly

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

I have a friend who knows the peeps at GPT Motorsports... I'll see if I cant' find his card when I get home.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

the only one i bought new was $180 from kearney racing..they can shave as well...they only mark them up $10 as a courtesy for racers...they are the cheapest i think

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Gary, do they have 225/50/16? or only the 17's? I don't have 17" wheels to run them on.

Also, I just noticed that Tirerack has a "closeout" on the Yok A032R H. 225/50/16 for $149. Anybody know how this compares to the RA-1? I know it's also a longer-wearing, non-competitive tire. How does the grip and life compare to the Toyo?

Also, they have V700's at $148. These are stickier, but don't last as long, right? How much difference?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Vilven has the RA-1 225/50/16 at $160 each. That's the best so far, but I think a local Discount Tire will beat it. I'll see...

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Also, I just noticed that Tirerack has a "closeout" on the Yok A032R H. 225/50/16 for $149. Anybody know how this compares to the RA-1? I know it's also a longer-wearing, non-competitive tire. How does the grip and life compare to the Toyo?
I've always been a big fan of these tires... mud tire noisy, but good grip and they tolerate track use well. I'd estimate that I get at least three track days worth at 90 miles per event. They need to be flipped on the wheel at least once, or they did back when my car was camber challenged. They prefer low pressures, such as mid 30s hot. I feel that once up to temp, they grip slightly less than an RA-1, but I haven't compared like sizes.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

btw.... for the California Contingent... I have yet to find better prices on RA-1s than @ the Tire Shop @ Buttonwillow.

Dunno if they'll ship.... but their prices were well under that 160 price point. In fact, I think 15" were in the 140 range.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

3 track days? I get like... 10 out of RA-1's. No flipping either, though that would have helped the last set last a little longer.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

awesome thanks for the lead gary! now i don't have to let him borrow my car for the grattan autocross next weekend

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

Gary, do they have 225/50/16? or only the 17's? I don't have 17" wheels to run them on.just the mandated for their class size..the 235/40/17 sorry

Also, they have V700's at $148. These are stickier, but don't last as long, right? How much difference?
much stickier..what we used to run..but fairly fragile

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Damn it, I'm just too honest.

So, I'm checking around for prices locally. I call a local (National Chain) store, and ask them, he says $85! I ask if that's a mistake.... because I don't want to order them and have them say "oops, sorry, they're actually $200". He says he'll check, and calls head office. Calls me back says it was a mistake, they're really $205, but they'll price match the $160.

I probably shoulda just shut my mouth and ordered them. If the computer said $85, I don't imagine one of the shops would have noticed? And if I'd already paid, it'd probably be too late.

I'm the guy that goes back into the store when I realize the cashier missed something in my basket.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Ok, Mr. Nice Guy no more. I called another of the same chain, asked for the tires, $95+10 for mounting. I said I'd be right over! Worst that happens, I'll refuse them if they change the price when they get them in. I'll let y'all know what happens!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts