Ford Focus Forum banner

Good source for Toyo RA-1s? Also: vs. A032R?

920 views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Chris F 
#1 ·
Need to get some new RA-1's in the next few weeks. Anybody know of a good place to get them? Tirerack doesn't carry Toyo. I know I can get them at Discount Tire locally, just wondering if anybody knows of any place with a good price.

#5 ·
Re: Good source for Toyo RA-1s?

no prob..you can e mail james at james@bimmerworld.com or call him at 540 639 9648....james said he was a bit low when i talked to him monday but they usually carry about a hundred...deal is they get a scad of free toyo's for every speed world weekend..the good ones are sold used...some seem to have only been used for one cycle..nice part is you know they have been definitely heat cycled..and we have had phenomanal results ....we have 3 sprint races, one enduro and 5 more track days on the ones on the car now...keep looking and wondering when we need to use some of the spares..what james tells me is that they last and last but it is very easy to tell when they are cooked..they basically go away very quickly

#10 ·

Gary, do they have 225/50/16? or only the 17's? I don't have 17" wheels to run them on.

Also, I just noticed that Tirerack has a "closeout" on the Yok A032R H. 225/50/16 for $149. Anybody know how this compares to the RA-1? I know it's also a longer-wearing, non-competitive tire. How does the grip and life compare to the Toyo?

Also, they have V700's at $148. These are stickier, but don't last as long, right? How much difference?

#12 ·

Also, I just noticed that Tirerack has a "closeout" on the Yok A032R H. 225/50/16 for $149. Anybody know how this compares to the RA-1? I know it's also a longer-wearing, non-competitive tire. How does the grip and life compare to the Toyo?
I've always been a big fan of these tires... mud tire noisy, but good grip and they tolerate track use well. I'd estimate that I get at least three track days worth at 90 miles per event. They need to be flipped on the wheel at least once, or they did back when my car was camber challenged. They prefer low pressures, such as mid 30s hot. I feel that once up to temp, they grip slightly less than an RA-1, but I haven't compared like sizes.

#13 ·

btw.... for the California Contingent... I have yet to find better prices on RA-1s than @ the Tire Shop @ Buttonwillow.

Dunno if they'll ship.... but their prices were well under that 160 price point. In fact, I think 15" were in the 140 range.

#16 ·

Gary, do they have 225/50/16? or only the 17's? I don't have 17" wheels to run them on.just the mandated for their class size..the 235/40/17 sorry

Also, they have V700's at $148. These are stickier, but don't last as long, right? How much difference?
much stickier..what we used to run..but fairly fragile

#17 ·

Damn it, I'm just too honest.

So, I'm checking around for prices locally. I call a local (National Chain) store, and ask them, he says $85! I ask if that's a mistake.... because I don't want to order them and have them say "oops, sorry, they're actually $200". He says he'll check, and calls head office. Calls me back says it was a mistake, they're really $205, but they'll price match the $160.

I probably shoulda just shut my mouth and ordered them. If the computer said $85, I don't imagine one of the shops would have noticed? And if I'd already paid, it'd probably be too late.

I'm the guy that goes back into the store when I realize the cashier missed something in my basket.

#20 ·

Ok, Mr. Nice Guy no more. I called another of the same chain, asked for the tires, $95+10 for mounting. I said I'd be right over! Worst that happens, I'll refuse them if they change the price when they get them in. I'll let y'all know what happens!

#21 ·

Ok, Mr. Nice Guy no more. I called another of the same chain, asked for the tires, $95+10 for mounting. I said I'd be right over! Worst that happens, I'll refuse them if they change the price when they get them in. I'll let y'all know what happens!
Slick move.

#22 ·

$95+10 for mounting.
Is that canadian money??? If so I will drive the van up there and buy every set they have...

#24 ·

I went, paid in full, and they ordered them. You'll know the minute I have them in my hands. Probably Monday.

This was the 225/50/16 RA-1s.

What exactly is the difference between the Victoracer and teh Ecsta?

#25 ·

What exactly is the difference between the Victoracer and teh Ecsta?
The Ecsta V700 is the new tire and the Victoracer V700 is the old tire.

Victoracer V700
Ecsta V700

As for the exact differences, I'll have to let the experts handle that one. All I remember when the Ecsta V700's came out was that some people rounded the shoulders off a little quicker than the old Victoracers.

#26 ·

Well I don't know if you can call the Victoracer (VR) old anymore. They changed the compound sometime last year or early this year. Tire rack now reccomends you shave the VR for track use where as with the old compound you did not have to. I and some of the people I track with still use them at full thread depth. (I just can't seem to get myself to pay more for less rubber) But, the tire seems to hold up just fine with the SVTF at full depth.

The Ecsta 700 does not seem to like camber challenged cars and seems to heat cycle out faster. Most of the autocrossers I know would choose the VR over the Ecsta. But, they would also choose the Escta 710 (even newer) over both. I haven't driven the Escta 710's but eveyone raves about them at the autocrosses.

I can't imagine any of these tires lasting as long as Gary is getting out of the RA-1's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.