Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I recently came into some money and I have decided to blow about $1000 on my car, so far all I have done to the engine is an Iceman intake.

So far I am thinking of getting under drive pullies, any other ideas but I don't want anything that will make it too loud and hurt my gas milage too much, thanks for any suggestions.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Konis, SVT springs & rear bar....

C'mon.... You can either go REALLY fast in the twisties... or a tiny bit faster on the freeway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
for a grand, if you got any hook ups, you should be able to do all bolt-on engine mods and SVT suspension... if you want. I recommend and AEM cold air intake too!

·
Registered
951 Posts
What I don't recommend:

IceMan CAI
UDP

I was very dissatisfied with both installed on my old Focus, especially the UDP. Little to no gain for headlights that surge when on was of no value to me. I also had a Borla CatBack installed, and while it sounded great, that too didn't show much of an improvement. No, I'm not bitter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With the Mods FerretHouse suggests ,you'll
see some real nice gains .Adding a Diablo chip
later will really pull together all of those
Mods !

D.Turner

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I'm with Omni. The engine should be the very last thing to dump money into. The stock engine has more than enough power to overwhelm both the traction and handling capabilities of the car. You will get way more bang for the buck putting your money into suspension, tires, and LSD.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by Welding Rod:
I'm with Omni. The engine should be the very last thing to dump money into. The stock engine has more than enough power to overwhelm both the traction and handling capabilities of the car. You will get way more bang for the buck putting your money into suspension, tires, and LSD.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">enough power! nooo wwaaayyy!! They are dogs stock

Do these mods...

Port your TB
Ghetto Rig a Cold Air Intake
FS Race Header & Flex Pipe Combo
Bosal Exhaust
AFX UDP
Ford Racing Cam Gears
Dyno Tune

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Whoa, I didn't say the engine has enough power. I said it has enough power to easily overwhelm the traction and handling capabilities of the car.

IMHO however, if someone believes their stock Focus has more handling than engine, they aren't driving hard enough to need more power.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by Welding Rod:
Whoa, I didn't say the engine has enough power. I said it has enough power to easily overwhelm the traction and handling capabilities of the car.

IMHO however, if someone believes their stock Focus has more handling than engine, they aren't driving hard enough to need more power.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I drive 40 circles in one day!

·
Registered
591 Posts
ALL MOTOR! FO SHEEZY

STOCK MTOR IS ABOUT AS FAST AS A GEO ON 2 CYLINDERS GET THE MODS fOcusonmyB-TECH ND YOUL BE SET

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
OK guys, I got a new signature and this looks like good opportunity to try it out.

Take it easy though, it is all in good natured fun.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by TippsTheFoo:
What I don't recommend:

IceMan CAI
UDP

I was very dissatisfied with both installed on my old Focus, especially the UDP. Little to no gain for headlights that surge when on was of no value to me. I also had a Borla CatBack installed, and while it sounded great, that too didn't show much of an improvement. No, I'm not bitter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Unless you dyno other mods its arguable whether or not they help much or at all. With the UDP its common sense. Physics dictates that it will add about 4 hp at the wheels. The UDP is a sure thing and for only 90 bucks it is, dollar 4 dollar, the most potent mod you can do. Perhaps your expectations were too high and that is why you were disappointed.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the suggestions!!
To be honest I have never thought about the suspension but its a great idea.

Oh I should of told you guys I have an Iceman already on the engine and Mach HID's on the outside.

·
Registered
384 Posts
See you have $1000.00 to spend on your focus. Thats a good start. Since you already have a iceman intake, I think you should looking into upgrading the exhaust system, which will free alot of horsepower. I added a FC Race Header, FS flexpipe, and Magnaflow Catback system and wow, what a difference. myfordperformance.com has alot of deals right now, so check them out. If it was me, I'd get a race header, flex pipe, and catback and if you have anything left over, get a udp. I have the AFX, which gives you the most gains for just a crank pulley and is only $90.00.

·
Registered
188 Posts
springs.
konis.
exhaust.

you can do all three with 1k. And that will let you 1) look better 2) sound better 3) handle better, on track, road, and drag 4) have more fun 5) more hp and tq

1 - 17 of 17 Posts