Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a chance to buy back my old Bike: \'74 CB750

Its a '74 CB750. Pretty much all original except for the exhaust which is now a 4 into 2 (instead of the original 4 into 4). Plus, saddle bags have since been added. Starts, runs, inspected, new tires, chain and brakes. Carbs (all four of them) were rebuilt a year or two ago.

I owned it for several years and rode all over the place. Used it to to commute to school since I lived off campus and then work when I first graduated. Even took a few day trips from Harrisburg down to DC.

I don't need it and I really don't have the extra cash to spend on it, but I never claimed to be logical.

This isn't it, but it looks almost exactly the same and is the same year:

I sold the bike to a good friend of mine 3 years ago since I didn't have the time to ride and he needed a good starter bike. Never realized how much I'd miss having a bike to just go for a ride on. Now he's ready to move on and has offered to sell it back to me for pretty much what I sold it to him. Going to look at it next week with, hopefully, cash in hand.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Re: Got a chance to buy back my old Bike: \'74 CB750

I believe there's one of those outside of my girlfriends house... I want a low-priced bike just to cruise around on. I got my M1 license, but no bike to go with it...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Sweet bike; you should definitely get that bad boy back.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts

Nice bike indeed. DO IT DO IT DO IT!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Trust me guys. When I started this thread I had already made my decision to get it. I've looked at new bikes and they just don't interest me. Too much money for too little plus I've got a thing for old crap. I'll be picking this up for $500 and could easily sell it for that again in a few years.

Yea, its no crotch rocket but it is sometimes considered the grandfather of the modern day crotch rocket. All you ever wanted to know about early SOHC 4 Honda motorcycles.

I'm holding off for a week because I'm real busy this week and will be away at JetFest this weekend.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

I hear ya man...

This is mine

1972 Honda CB 175 K6

Great little city bike. sold for 700 when new. Vintage bike book prices it at 1800 as is.

I've never seen another one in person and have never seen one that is in as good shape as mine.

Get lots of looks and complements from folks.

Look into http://www.vjmc.org

I just joined up. The news letter is a great read.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

^^^^^^^^ Really cool bike.

I bet that thing is a blast to tool around on.

I'd be happy with something a little smaller 175/350/500/550. A smaller lighter bike appeals to me. But this 750 just stumbled into my lap...again. So, I can't pass it up.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

It is a blats to drive. Scraped the pegs a few times which really takes courage.

I’m having the engine rebuilt as we speak. Had it bored out one over, new pistons and rings as the bike sat for 17 years before I took possession of it.

Can’t wait to get it back as its top speed was only 60 mph with the loss of compression I had. Little scary trying to keep pace with traffic for those short highway jaunts that I make from time to time.

One thing that I did learn real quickly is that you have to be more planfull of your braking with these old bikes and drum brakes.

Rain and washboard road surfaces result in

·
Registered
7,109 Posts

DO it a lot of older bike guys are buying these bikes back for nostalgia reasons and are paying a preium for a good looking bike in good shape that runs well. Anyways good luck
-bix

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Test drove it Tuesday night. Will be picking it up in about a week and a half.

Started on the second kick after sitting for three days. Electric start works, but for some reason I like kick starting a bike. Guess it reminds me of my old dirt bikes. I like the addition of the saddle bags. In the looks department, the saddle bags sure beat the tank bag I used to use. Took it for a brief test drive and it runs almost exactly as I remember. Has about 31k miles on the clock. Everything is in working order. The new mufflers are, well, not much of a muffler system. That damn thing is loud.

Can't wait to start riding again.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts

YES!!! When are you posting photos?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Didn't have my camera with me. I plan to pick it up next weekend and will snap some pics then.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Going to sign the title and get a plate at AAA tomorrow over lunch. Picking it up at 5:00.

Just checked on insurance...$98/year. Not bad.

Can't wait.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

CONGRATS!!!

NOW BE SAFE!!!!!
My best friend from high school got flattened by a truck about year after graduation.

Bikes are cool, but give ME 4 wheels and a ****pit!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

CONGRATS!!!

NOW BE SAFE!!!!!
My best friend from high school got flattened by a truck about year after graduation.

Bikes are cool, but give ME 4 wheels and a ****pit!
Tryst me, I'm 1000x times safer than I used to be. About 10 years ago, I laid one down doing 85+mph(spedometer only went to 85). Broken colar bone and major road rash because I was an idiot and was only wearing shorts and a t-shirt. That is not going to happen again if I can help it. I value my life way to much and have slowed down considerably. But yea, I can't control or predict the other vehicles on the road.

And as I learned from a nice biker in the hospital the night of my wreck, "There are only two types of motorcycle riders: Those who have wrecked and those that will wreck." At least I can put myself into the first category and am lucky enough to be able to tell people about it. Many aren't.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts

Nice!

There were a half dozen of the 6cylinder ones (don't know the model) at Bike Night on Cannery Row for the Moto GP. Beautifully restored. Damn, six chrome pipes coming out of those things... insane!
It's called a CBX.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Here you go:

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts

Awsome I love the style of bike. Just old styling with minor modern upgrade(disc brakes).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts