Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 spi, i just purchased a t3/t4 hybrid turbo and was informed by one of my focinw memebers that it will bolt up to the stock manifold and that the engine can hold up to 18 psi with stock internals. if this is true or you know more please let me know. the big question is that i know nuthing about turbos and would like all the info i can get about setting it up and what i need. it would be a great help as i want to be the first turbo spi in focinw.
i live in washington so if anyone can help me out it would be great!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Well...

You can make the stock mani work with it, yes. I don't think it'll "bolt right up," though. You probably need to weld a flange onto the manifold.

We don't quite know what the engine will take. I'd like to nominate you to get it put on, jack the psi up one pound per week until you break your car.

Report back with your findings!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i have a 2000 spi, i just purchased a t3/t4 hybrid turbo and was informed by one of my focinw memebers that it will bolt up to the stock manifold...
What made you think it would?

The stock manifold hold's it too low, and at a angle. After all, it was made to hold a catalytic converter and not a turbo.

It's too hard to say that the motor can hold "X" amount of boost, there's way too many varible, every thing from the size and efficency of the turbo, to the engine managment, fuel, intercooler efficency...I could go on. In other words, one guy can blow his motor with 6psi while another can run 10+ all day with out problems. A heatly SPI should beable to hold well at 225hp, as long as you do it right. And we cant say it will take "X" amount of psi to do it, because it will be different for each set up.
There are ton's of turbo post's, start reading.

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
i have a 2000 spi, i just purchased a t3/t4 hybrid turbo and was informed by one of my focinw memebers that it will bolt up to the stock manifold...
What made you think it would?

The stock manifold hold's it too low, and at a angle. After all, it was made to hold a catalytic converter and not a turbo.

It's too hard to say that the motor can hold "X" amount of boost, there's way too many varible, every thing from the size and efficency of the turbo, to the engine managment, fuel, intercooler efficency...I could go on. In other words, one guy can blow his motor with 6psi while another can run 10+ all day with out problems. A heatly SPI should beable to hold well at 225hp, as long as you do it right. And we cant say it will take "X" amount of psi to do it, because it will be different for each set up.
There are ton's of turbo post's, start reading.
Euro are a smart one!

·
Registered
695 Posts
it would be a great help as i want to be the first turbo spi in focinw.
Unless you have yours done by the end of the year, I'll have you beat!

Welcome to the jet!!!

Where in Washington do you live?

Me, I'm in Tacoma!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im in port orchard, i couldnt make it to the meat in burian but one of my buds (jordan) or known on hear as zx4fiero did and asked questions for me. but like i said i know nuthing about turbos and thats y i posted this to get help not to get critisized.im not out to have the fastest spi or to make most hp (even though it would be great....lol) i just want the show factor and braging rights, it will be more a learning experiance than anything so if you all could be my teachers for the period of me putting the torbo on it would be great.

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
im in port orchard, i couldnt make it to the meat in burian but one of my buds (jordan) or known on hear as zx4fiero did and asked questions for me. but like i said i know nuthing about turbos and thats y i posted this to get help not to get critisized.im not out to have the fastest spi or to make most hp (even though it would be great....lol) i just want the show factor and braging rights, it will be more a learning experiance than anything so if you all could be my teachers for the period of me putting the torbo on it would be great.
We aint pickin on ya. We are just a screwy bunch of SPI nerds.

You are gonna need to have something fabricated to mount a turbo to the stock exhaust manifold...or just get one aftermarket. You will also need pipes made and an intercooler. After that...a GOOD fuel solution.

Gabe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what all is needed for the fuel, i was thinking of using the focus
sport chip, i was told it has setting that can compensate for the increase in air and it overclocks your fule pump to deliver more fule.
im not trying to go cheep, i just want the easiest setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what all is needed for the fuel, i was thinking of using the focus
sport chip, i was told it has setting that can compensate for the increase in air and it overclocks your fule pump to deliver more fule.
im not trying to go cheep, i just want the easiest setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts