Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing with my new obd cable with my laptop. I've been trying to get some base information on the stock engine. Like what the air temp is with the stock and what the air flow is.

So I hooked up my new MAC short intake and drove the car for 15 minutes. I've heard that the engine will pull hotter air than the stock intake and the shorties are only good for the sound.

As far as I am concerned the shorty performs better than stock intake in every way. I get readings that tell me that on average the engine pulls air 2 degrees cooler and pulls 1.lb more per minute. It's not a dyno and the power gained probably will not show up on a dyno but I have to say that CAI really aren't worth their price. This is my own unscientific test and my opinion. I post this for all to think about.

Peace

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
the MAC really isnt a CAI. See if you could hook up your laptop to someones car with other intakes like a volant and an AEM CAI....see what types of numbers are spit out then.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Originally posted by Wedge1212:
the MAC really isnt a CAI. See if you could hook up your laptop to someones car with other intakes like a volant and an AEM CAI....see what types of numbers are spit out then.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">He didn't say it was a CAI........the MAC kit is extremely nice, I prefer it over any other short ram on the market. I really don't understand why people push the full CAI kits. From my experiences, they only help marginally in 90+ degree weather.

·
Registered
131 Posts
the MAC is a great intake just because its not covered or under the bumper dosent mean it mokes less power i bet it prbably gets more top end hp than a cold air. The whole point of an open intake is to get the most air into the engine as quickly as possible and the MAC does that perfectly at half the cost of all the cold air intakes. I mean if cold air was that great why dont manufactures or race teams use them, even carburated cars have the intakes right on top of the carbs so the most air can be forced into the engine quickly.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Originally posted by staindfan:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Wedge1212:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">He didn't say it was a CAI........the MAC kit is extremely nice, I prefer it over any other short ram on the market. I really don't understand why people push the full CAI kits. From my experiences, they only help marginally in 90+ degree weather.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
It's not a dyno and the power gained probably will not show up on a dyno but I have to say that CAI really aren't worth their price. This is my own unscientific test and my opinion. I post this for all to think about.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that statement could possibly be taken two ways. However, my primary reason for posting was to find out if it was possible for him or anyone else to perform the same test on other intakes like the volant and AEM CAI.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I didnt mean to seem mean spirited i just think that alot of people get the idea that if its not cold air its no good.

·
Registered
826 Posts
***Please post for sale items in the classifieds****

[ 10-09-2002, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: zx3ford ]

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As I posted in the SVT forum... I built my very own shorty out of a 6in stainless tube and a cheap filter.
I got 5-8 hp from the mod... Total cost $20.

Terry

·
Registered
582 Posts
Originally posted by my2002svt:
As I posted in the SVT forum... I built my very own shorty out of a 6in stainless tube and a cheap filter.
I got 5-8 hp from the mod... Total cost $20.

Terry
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeesh, what kind of filter did you get with $20? At least spring for a K&N, you better not be putting no 99 cent filter in your SVT

·
Registered
427 Posts
Originally posted by FOCUSon420:
I mean if cold air was that great why dont manufactures or race teams use them, even carburated cars have the intakes right on top of the carbs so the most air can be forced into the engine quickly.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Manufactures have been putting CAI on cars for many years. Some of the original attempts seem very primative by todays standards but the benifits of cooler air are well known by the auto manufacturers. I have a 1975 Ford pickup with a carburated 460. There is a snorkle on the air cleaner inlet that goes to the front of the grill to pull cold air. Aftermarket companies attempt to improve on the OEM's design. Most race cars have a CAI.

[ 10-09-2002, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: PBZX3 ]

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I realized today I forgot to reset the PCM
. Any ways I'm getting twice the air flow now
. It reads 10 lbs/min at 45mph @ 4500 RPM. Air temp is about 70-75deg.
Later all.

One more thing, I could
hook my laptop up to some one elses car with a CAI
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">or some one could send me one to test.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the MAC intake has the best performance to dollar ratio for focus intakes. Great sound, easy install, low price. I made a custom ram-air tube for mine too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
you know you can get an almost identicle effect of a 100 dollar cai with the stock focus upper intake painted in a color that matches your car (high Temp Pain) and an APC Filter? obviously the CAI has a little straighter pipe but... Its about the samething. Thats what I run it helped alot!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I put my MAC in yesterday, and like it a lot. It makes more sense when it sits in the exact same place other short intakes sit and costs at least 50$ less than them. but what do i know, ive only had my focus for a few weeks.

Jon

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Originally posted by ruggedman:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Wedge1212:
very true....CAI's are definately NOT the only way to go.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...if you wanna save money and not get the best performance.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's why I went w/ the volant

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by Wedge1212:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ruggedman:
very true....CAI's are definately NOT the only way to go.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...if you wanna save money and not get the best performance.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's why I went w/ the volant
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">To save money and not get the best performance...i know. Cool a volant owner that admits his intake isnt the optimum one. What a surprise.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
ahhh yes, everyone trying to justify spending too much money...

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
we all know that more money = better

1 - 20 of 22 Posts