Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been pretty bummed about my car. It's not that I don't like it or that I don't want to do anything to it - in fact, quite the opposite. Everytime I get my hopes up to do something to it, I'll tell someone and they'll tell me, "Why? A car is just for transportation. Investing money into such a money-draining thing is a waste of your time and effort."

I was hoping someone would have some idea on how to get over this, or what I can say to people like that. Seems like they've multiplied in the last three weeks by 10 times, at least.

My newest idea is to get a Saleen Series III kit (they've lowered the price to $850, folks!) because it's like my dream kit. But everyone I've talked to about it has just slammed me with finding something better to spend my money on. An apartment. College tuition. Investment for my future. My girlfriend even wants a ring (and yes, that kind of ring). But none of those things, no matter how important or relevent in my life, are a car. And my friends, who are also big car fans, have resorted to just making fun of my Focus all the time now and aren't offering any tips.

Any advice for getting out of the "Cars-For-Transportation" Blues?

·
Registered
933 Posts
just get it anyways, ignore them, put the kit on, and bam you will get out of them, but remember this is only a hobby and shouldn't be your life, unless you have nothing else in life, but you seem like you do. To me the ring for the girlfriend would make me not want the kit, and spend it on her, but i guess i'm partial to my girl

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well don't get me wrong; I worded that bad.

I've put my g/f before my car (as I do most things in life) over and over and over. Not once has the car ever come before her. I'm just using that as an example because everytime I mention that I want to get something for my car, she rolls her eyes and gives me her speach on how a car is a car and nothing more than a way to move us around and that a way a car looks is absolutely pointless.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Spend some $$$ on your car. Look it's your car, make it the way you want it. I have a co-worker who thinks that way, cars are only for transportation. Why invest anything in them, it's a waste of money. I tell then why buy this big SUV (Sequoia), it's a big waste of money cause you'll never use 10% of the vehicles capability. Then he shuts up
Do you what you want to, just remember, cars are important to us, cause we're car freaks
but there are other things out there that are more important.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
any woman who looks at cars that way is not worthy of wifedom. do you really want to spend your life hearing about how stupid it is to work on your car? heres what you should do to her. since cars are for transportation only, and who cares what they look like. go find the nastiest, slowest, most rusted out POS you can find. pay Jose the 50 bucks and drive it to her house in a blazing cloud of smoke. "here honey, I bought you a car!" see what she says then.

[ 05-20-2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: TXFO ]

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feel for you. I decided to get the ring and we are going away to get married June 10th. After that time I think she knows that one of my hobbies is my car. If you have the means to do what you want and it doesn't hurt the situation your in then do what you want. I'm not out buying crack so I think my hobby is a pretty decent one. I would recommend putting a level of priority on the relationship. If you think she wants to wait too then do your car thing and enjoy it. But if you think she might grow tired of the chase then you might want to go get the ring and put the car on hold.
Just my thoughts..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by TXFO:
any woman who looks at cars that way is not worthy of wifedom. do you really want to spend your life hearing about how stupid it is to work on your car? heres what you should do to her. since cars are for transportation only, and who cares what they look like. go find the nastiest, slowest, most rusted out POS you can find. pay Jose the 50 bucks and drive it to her house in a blazing cloud of smoke. "here honey, I bought you a car!" see what she says then.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hahaha! That's an excellent idea. Right now she doesn't have a car, so "buying one for her" would be insanely hillarious!

I might have to consider that for a joke... hmm...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts