Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess i have one in my car. Its a 2002 SE. Its wierd because before tonight it always cut off at 96 MPH, but tonight i tried turning off my a/c and radio and got it up to 101 MPH. Why do they do that and is it illegal to take it out?

·
Registered
759 Posts
You need a chip to remove it, Diablo is the best IMO

also the gov. should be 110mph but it varies alot in our cars

both my cars it has been about 113mph

there are no laws about it but do remember the the stock tires do not have a very high speed rating

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Well... Speeding on public roads is illegal, and not really FocalJet discussion material...

But... Installing a Superchip or Diablo Chip will disable the limiter, which is in the stock ECU's firmware. Removal isn't illegal, but speeding is.

Chips run from $195 to $230 depending on where you buy from.

Check out www.focaljet.com/sponsors.html for a list of FocalJet sponsors that might carry the part.

EDIT: Hmmm... Sponsor page is gone..

EDIT: Also to note, the ACTUAL speed limiter is at 105MPH... any variance you see is in the speedo.

[ 10-18-2002, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: OmniFocus ]

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Sounds like your speedo is only about 4MPH off, which is well within spec. Most cars generally have optimistic speedos... and some have pessimistic ones. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Originally posted by Pulled Over 2wice:
ummm thats not good if my speedo is 14 mph off, id take it to the dealership, but im not gonna tell them i was doing 110 lol
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">take it for anything and they will know. the computer has a code that reads out when the rev or speed limiter is hit

·
Registered
375 Posts
Originally posted by djwirfel:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Pulled Over 2wice:
ummm thats not good if my speedo is 14 mph off, id take it to the dealership, but im not gonna tell them i was doing 110 lol
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">take it for anything and they will know. the computer has a code that reads out when the rev or speed limiter is hit</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">anyway to clear that code? would a scantool fix it? just curious...

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
I have the Superchip and have the CEL come on bout every 200 miles after I reset it. Anyone else have this problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts