Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new jersey politicians decided to try to pass a law to ban smoing while driving. the report says in 32,000 accidents %1 was due to people being distracted from smoing. web page this was based on a study by aaa. now heres there list on there site of distracting things. look what has the highest percentage.
Specific Distraction % of Drivers
Outside person, object, or event 29.4%
Adjusting radio/cassette/CD 11.4%
Other occupant 10.9%
Moving object in vehicle 4.3%
Other device/object 2.9%
Adjusting vehicle/climate controls 2.8%
Eating and/or drinking 1.7%
Using/dialing cell phone 1.5%
Smoking related 0.9%
Other distractions 25.6%
Unknown distraction 8.6%
outide person, object or event the highest. that to me is driving by a hot chick and looking. lets ban hot chicks too.

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts
Re: govt. wants to ban smoing while driving

I could do with less forrest fires caused by people flicking their butts. if your going to smoke in the car, keep it in the car.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Good, I can't tell you how many times my car has been hit from cigg. butts flying out the window of inconsiderate drivers. I smoke in the car, but I have an ASTRAY to put by butts in. I'll sacrifce my smoking behind the wheel so asses don't hit my car with thier dirty butts.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts

Based on that list and the fact that it would be impossible to control outside object, etc. I guess they should make it a law that all vehicles must be single seaters with no radios, etc

I think that cell phones are more of a problem than anything else. All of the other things on the list are somwhat momentary distractions while people on cell phones keep talking for miles and miles.

I did see one person today that probably will not be talking on her cell while driving anymore. On US-15(4 lane, limited access divided highway) she was wandering from lane to lane at 40 mph (speed limit is 55 and most traffic is doing 60-65). I managed to get past her and back in the slow lane since my exit was coming up soon. As I looked in the rear view to make sure everything was clear for me to turn off, she wandered out in the fast lane again and got clobbered by a semi. Her car ended up in the ditch on the right side of the road with more damage from going in the ditch than the semi did.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Good, I can't tell you how many times my car has been hit from cigg. butts flying out the window of inconsiderate drivers. I smoke in the car, but I have an ASTRAY to put by butts in. I'll sacrifce my smoking behind the wheel so asses don't hit my car with thier dirty butts.
if your car is always hit by cigarettes you need t change the way you drive. your oviously way to close to the guy in front of you.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts

Is there going to be anything left legal anymore? We need less gubment... wayyyyyyyy less gubment.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Looks to me like they should ban stereos first. But hey, if you want the government to control people's lives why make them use facts to guide their decisions?

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Using/dialing cell phone 1.5%
This survey has got to be flawed as there is no way that only 1.5% causes a distraction.Everyone that is around me driving that uses a cell phone in one form or another has no attention while driving!!

If you notice many automakers now offer smoker packages as an option where it use to be standard.
Anyway I saw the news report on the banning of smoking while driving and one guy said the government can go for it as long as they take over his car payments.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

You should be allowed to smoke only if you buy a hands free smoking kit.

Seriously tho, Eating in your car is much more dangerous than smoking, they should make that illegal. I mean if you happen to choke while you're behind the wheel... someone is going to get taken out.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

if your car is always hit by cigarettes you need t change the way you drive. your oviously way to close to the guy in front of you.
At night, you can see the damned things bouncing around enough to tag you even with a healthy two-second rule.
I can be following waaay back and still smell cig smoke in my car.

Anyway, why are they throwing them out the window to begin with? Around here there's a $500 littering fine. Evidently it doesn't apply to smokers.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Maybe it is just me, but I find it hard to believe most people have a hard time paying attention to the road while talking on the cell. You have eyes, use them! It is no much difference than taking to a passenger.

Maybe its because I use my eyes more than most people due to my deafness but countless times I've talked on my sidekick (typing messages) while driving and talked to passengers using sign language. I've never been in an accident, not once and it's been 6 years. (knocking on wood)

You got eyes on road and you dont have to take them off like I have to do while talking on cell or to passengers. Learn to take advantage of it!

·
Almost choked on a Girl Scout ...cookie
16,227 Posts
The head of the association of police chiefs in Jersey has ALREADY said, they will not enforce this law if it passes.

This is why we need part-time government.
Those guys need to do something with their time, so they write stupid-ass legislation like this.

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts

Seriously tho, Eating in your car is much more dangerous than smoking, they should make that illegal. I mean if you happen to choke while you're behind the wheel... someone is going to get taken out.
but you are going to get cancer if you smoke behind the wheel

·
Registered
275 Posts

Smoking makes cars smell like A--.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

better yet we should just ban smoking.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

better yet we should just ban smoking.
That would work for me too. (oh no I'm trying to keep people from doing as they please-because freedom =the right to kill yourself slowly and endanger the health of those around you...it's no different from a seatbelt law)

·
Registered
264 Posts

That would no doubt be a Democrat Governor... What a f*#ckin' a-hole

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

At night, you can see the damned things bouncing around enough to tag you even with a healthy two-second rule.
I can be following waaay back and still smell cig smoke in my car.

Anyway, why are they throwing them out the window to begin with? Around here there's a $500 littering fine. Evidently it doesn't apply to smokers.
AMEN

There's little worse than having to smell someone's stink at a stoplight, or three cars back in traffic in rush hour. Don't even get me started on the rampant littering. It's enough to make me want to take up sm

wait

1 - 20 of 51 Posts