Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting odd exhuast smells "no beans involved" I find that when driving especially on PA turnpike between posted speed and well___. There seems to be a strong egg smell in car worse if I open window. Now I thought it may have been someone in front exhaust coming in so I have driven with re-circulating button on to. Even with vent closed windows up and no one around it still happens. It's a bit annoying any Serious thoughts please on this issue. Thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sulfur smell = bad cat

·
Registered
411 Posts
The cat might be bad, but you won't smell it unless your exhuast gaskets are bad or you have a header that is cracked that is leaking or you have an egr tube that is leaking at the fittings or cracked and leaking.

I hope that makes sense....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes and thanks for the input Jetters. The odd thing is this is a 2002 ZTS/ATX that just hit 5k on the clock. I traded in my 2001
ZX3 for many other reasons including the CAT blowing out at 10k. I was thinking the same as CAT or leak somewhere too. It there and type of leak test to pin down if there is a crack or leak in those areas?

Stay Focused

[ 10-01-2002, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Zetec-S ]

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
At least it's still under warranty.
I use a mechanics stethoscope with a tube on the end. Very easy to pinpoint exhaust leaks and other weird noises.

[ 10-01-2002, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: fruitport_focus ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts