Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to get rid of the upper and lower grills completely, but there is still the issue of the turn signals. i dont want to spend the money to get some st170's, so is there any plug and play signals i can just get from a local auto parts store? or would i have to buy the bulb and splice a few wires? are there any issues that i will run into involving some sort of resistors or fuses? i dont want to reuse any part of the stock grills, just get rid of them. thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts

I made a new grille, at least until I buy a new one.. But anyways I saw this idea on here before, so I wasnt the first, but I made little light sockets out of painted pvc piping, and then used silverstar amber turn signal bulbs (the blue expensive ones) to stick out of the pvc.. I think it looks nice, and will look a lot nicer when I get an actual grille

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that looks great. i think this is the route i will approach. what size pvc was used, and as for wiring, did the bulbs just plug into the stock wiring harness, or did you have to do some splicing of the wires?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
i keep seeing painted black PVC? wouldnt it be easier to just find the PVC in black to begin with? and what do u guys do about a difuser over the lightbulb? u run bulbs with no difuser/lens on them? all I can think of is a regular incandescent bulb vs a spotlight bulb, which will be brighter?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
props on your custom work...but what do you think will happen when it rains? wash your car?
my car has been that way about a year now. not one problem

·
Registered
401 Posts

I made a new grille, at least until I buy a new one.. But anyways I saw this idea on here before, so I wasnt the first, but I made little light sockets out of painted pvc piping, and then used silverstar amber turn signal bulbs (the blue expensive ones) to stick out of the pvc.. I think it looks nice, and will look a lot nicer when I get an actual grille
I was actually thinking of doing something similar to that but using LEDs. I just don't know that the amount of current the regular bulbs are using is to much for the LEDs. If anybody knows tell me!

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I was actually thinking of doing something similar to that but using LEDs. I just don't know that the amount of current the regular bulbs are using is to much for the LEDs. If anybody knows tell me!
As long as you find 12V LEDs you will be okay, otherwise without a resitor of some sort, you will blow them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts