Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gtech\'ing mods

Rather than continuing to add non-chip specific info to the thread http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011967 I figured it would be appropriate to open a new thread.

First a disclaimer - I make no absolute claims to power gains. There are too many variables to suggest anything as fact. I'm only passing along what I find to give others more info in case it may be useful. YMMV!

I started out on with a bone stock ZX3 and used the Gtech Pro Comp to do simulated 2nd gear dyno pulls. I got very repeatable results with only a variance of one or two hp or ft-lb of torque.

I then installed a Diablo Delta chip and saw a little more power (4-5), but also a little more variance. In any case, since the lowest pull with the chip was greater than the highest stock pull, it looked good. According to the graphs, there was a little more usable power in the 2000-3000rpm range.

I then returned to the stock program, and again saw similar results to the starting baseline.

The next day, I installed a MAC short ram intake. To my surprise, the reported power output levels were between the baseline and the chip only setup. I would have guessed otherwise by the "seat of the pants" dyno, but I guess that it was the extra sound from under the hood influencing my perception. As for the slight loss of power after adding the intake, the biggest variable that changed was the temperature. It was about 20 degrees warmer when I did the intake runs compared to the chip alone.

Today with the temps back down around the first day, I did more pulls. The reported power gains were 1-2 above the chip only day, and 4-5 above the warmer day with the same hardware config.

Total gains with the chip and intake are in the 5-6 range. However, it there is a significant variability in the testing due to climate and possibly other factors.

Next to go on will be the MAC UDP. Hopefully I'll pickup a little more.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: Gtech\'ing mods

good job dude. why dont you put some times with it also, like 0-60 times. I dont expect you to pull some 1/4 's or nothing but seeing some times to go with those numbers would be interesting. lata

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I haven't even looked at the time to speed or time to distance data yet. My assumption is that due to variability in the launches that the margin of error would be too great. The "simulated dyno" technique that I am using is medium launch in first, followed by an almost immediate shift to second. That way I an in second from 2000rpms to a little after 6000rpms. Since I'm not running to redline, I'm not quite getting to 60mph.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Please explain your Similated Dyno Run ? What are using and how does it Work etc.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

www.gtechpro.com will give you more info on the gtech pro competition model that I am using. Basically, it is a motion detector that measures the amount of acceleration over time. It also knows rpms by plugging into your cig lighter outlet. You also have to tell it the weight of your vehicle. It can then compute approximate horsepower based on the measured acceleration.

The math and physics all work, but the measurement of acceleration is very sensitive. I'm doing a full pull across second gear (2000-6000rpm) at WOT to "simulate" a dyno. I don't really trust it for absolute power readings, but as long as you only compare it to itself, you can get some idea of the impact of modifications (as long as other variables like temperature don't change). It also has a rpm light which will be somewhat useful.

The device also measures lateral G's, but until the next version of the software comes out, that functionality is somewhat limited. I did see an ad today in SCC that shows the new software, so it should be soon.

The next version of the software makes a little more useful as a general purpose racing data acquisition device. I like that it is all in a single device that I can put in my pocket rather than something like the GEEZ that requires a PALM for data storage in addition to the measurement module.

·
Registered
56 Posts

sweet you have the competition model?? waht do you think of it? Can you print those little dyno sheets? It looks like a handy little tool, but for 250 i could spend a little more and buy myself a raceheader for my B-DAY.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yep, I am using the competition model. I haven't tried to transfer info over to a PC yet - but I think I need their software which I am waiting to arrive. They have been shipping the comp model with the latest firmware, but will have the PC software ready "any day now"

My focus is on autox. In that arena the biggest improvement comes from tightening up the nut behind the steering wheel. So figured that the data logging at the events would be a good investment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts