Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know someone is going to flame me for this just cause its about gude/apc 2 known favs in the compact world
. but i just picked up my focus fanatic mag, was looking at the apc zx5 and was wondering, other then tuning and money, what else does that car have in order to keep the gude turbo working. just curious. thanks people

thegreat1

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yea i know the kit is crap but i was just wondering how apc has kept their gude kit working.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
oh yea i know the kit is crap but i was just wondering how apc has kept their gude kit working.
Secretly swapping out crate motors every week

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Secretly swapping out crate motors every week

[/QUOTE]

lol!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
funny but i dont doubt it

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
more like pushing it up and down the trailer from show to show...you really think that car gets driven??? Give me a break...that car probably has 2000 miles or less...I've seen it in person..Its kinda gaudy but I like the whole package...Peace

Lox

·
Registered
550 Posts
yeah wouldn't every one like to agree that the gude turbo sucks a$$. well if this were the case gude wouldn't be offering a turbo kit anymore but the only thing that this kit really lacks is a front mount, fuel, and tuning. as for how much it's driven, it's not really driven often other wise it would be a street car not a show car, after all it is owned by apc. i've seen the gude kit on a green focus in houston at the track a few months back and he ran high 13s(13.6-.8) all night.a question for all the guys downing gude's turbo kit, what kit do you have, do you have slips to back it up??

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
well if this were the case gude wouldn't be offering a turbo kit anymore but the only thing that this kit really lacks is a front mount, fuel, and tuning.
that's like saying all a car lacks is an engine, wheels, and suspension.

A decent FM intercooler is typically a must for a good "turbo kit". I guess it's not totally mandatory, but Fuel management and tuning are simply crucial if you want to put together a package that is as reliable as it is powerful.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the Gude hardware. Nobody has proven their turbo is crap, the only question has been, and always will be tuning!

They are band-aiding their installs with the J&S Safeguard which is a great device but should definately not be a core piece of the tuning. It should only be left on as additional safety. Personally I think their kit is very nice looking. It's definately not meant for big boost without an intercooler but moderate boost can be had without to much trouble, assuming you find a way to tune it.

If you dont' tune it, I think pretty much all agree that your just counting your days.

There are some other up and coming kits that are pretty good. Pectel's turbo kit, Precisions turbo kit, and then there's Tom's kit. But honestly Tom's zx3 kit is starting to look like a deal when you consider both the Pectel and the Precision are roughly 3800 - 3900 without tuning. Tom is ready to go out of the box for 5200.00. So I think it's becoming very apparent that a decent turbo costs money.

But at least the other two kits use decent hardware with an intercooler.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
So now a T-2 isn't even good enough tuning?
I could have sworn that was part of what you got from Pectel when you bought their kit.
Well since I'm the one who posted about the whole Pectel kit.. I just "might" know a little bit about it

They will offer it with tuning, but it won't be the 3800 kit. That one is un-tuned.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well you would think if they were going to sell a kit, the fuel managment would come with it....

Lox

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Well you would think if they were going to sell a kit, the fuel managment would come with it....

Lox
Well Precision doesn't sell fuel management with theirs.
Gude doesn't sell fuel management with theirs.
F-Max barely sells fuel management with theirs.
Pectel will be releasing a version of their kit that does not have fuel management.

So your assumption isn't exactly correct. In a perfect world you'd want everyone to provide good fuel and engine management.. but it's just not the case.

·
Registered
723 Posts
In a perfect world you'd want everyone to provide good fuel and engine management.. but it's just not the case.
and as a result, some engines go boom!

regardless i wish i had the money for a turbo kit. does anyone what to buy a purebred pembroke welsh corgi for around, oh i don't know, $5200?

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
In a perfect world you'd want everyone to provide good fuel and engine management.. but it's just not the case.
and as a result, some engines go boom!

regardless i wish i had the money for a turbo kit. does anyone what to buy a purebred pembroke welsh corgi for around, oh i don't know, $5200?

Hmm... Let me think. Hey wait, my car is in the banner on the top of the page now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts