Ford Focus Forum banner
441 - 460 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Yeah, good thing you have roadside assistance.

I guess if I could have seen the picture I might have known what happened... dang firewall at work filters out any remotely served pictures. Lunchtime viewing turns into mostly reading.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Man that stinks, but atleast you had AAA

·
Look under the curve... UNDER THE CURVE!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 ·
Not too much. I'm going to be putting a new headgasket in it, because I'm thinking that it's leaking a little bit. At this point, I'm trying to decide if I want to do some more headwork. I really want to play around with the intake side of things, but I haven't decided quite what I wantto focus on.

I'm also trying to convince myself to stop spending money on the Focus and move onto another project.

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
Stop spending on the car and go spend it on HPDE!

·
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #446 ·
I finally got around to replacing the head gasket this weekend. The gasket itself looked okay, but I noticed that the pistons have been hitting the sides of the combustion chamber on the head. Did not anticipate that. The Supertechs are a little bit wedge shaped instead of a true dome. I suspect that was part of the cause of some of my tuning issues (like turning the knock sensor off). Regardless, I took the dremel to the head and added some clearance in those areas. Hopefully, it hasn't done irreversable damage.:eek:

I still need to put a few bolts in the intake manifold, reinstall the alternator and put the header back on, but hopefully I can get that done tomorrow. I suspect that the pistons hitting the head were lifting it enough that I was losing compression and the HG was leaking a little.

I was actually planning on taking it to the strip this weekend, but figured I'd better do some maintenance first. Hopefully I'll finally get some numbers soon. How long have I been saying that?:lock:

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
Seth didn't you deck the head a little? Would having the head milled even a little
caused the pistons to hit?

Hope you get it fixed up man

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Hmmm.... did you check it? Like, are you sure the Supertechs were smacking the head? That doesn't seem right to me. You shouldn't have to enlarge the compression chamber just to make 'em fit.

·
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #450 ·
Seth didn't you deck the head a little? Would having the head milled even a little
caused the pistons to hit?

Hope you get it fixed up man
Chris, I only had it decked to take out any warpage, I think it was like 0.003". It was really weird, it's not hitting on the sides of the head, it's hitting along the long axis of the head. I didn't have a chance to finish the car up this weekend, as I went to help a neighbor pick up an old MG Midget this afternoon.

·
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 ·
I keep saying that I'm going to take it to the drag strip, but I haven't yet. I've been driving it to work the last week or so, now that its getting nice again up here.

Its a little bit quirky at times, mostly with the idle. I need to probably do a full tune up on it, because I re-used most of the old sensors (which now have 117k miles on them), and the plug wires have almost 50k miles on them. Its still pulling pretty hard though, and is definitely putting a grin on my face when I step on it. I'm kind of a dork for saying it, but one of the best parts of it is spinning it out and watching the tach needle sit on the stop, then watching it lag a few milliseconds before it drops below 7k. :evilgrin:

Now that its back together, I need to take some time to fix the stuff that I didn't know any better about when I put it together initially. The main seals are a little leaky, and I need to see how the stock clutch is holding up to the abuse. Some times it feels like its really grabby, but other times, it feels like its slipping. I suspect that the rear main is leaking on it a little bit, too. All part of having a project and learning from it all, I suppose.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
Hey Seth, just wondering how the car is running. havent heard from ya in a while, im assuming she is still around kicking?

·
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·
Hey Seth, just wondering how the car is running. havent heard from ya in a while, im assuming she is still around kicking?
Yeah, still running strong. :evilgrin: The oil light popped on last Friday on my way to work, so I drove it home and parked it. Has 5+ quarts in it at the moment, after adding some extra. But I haven't had a chance to tear into it, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to in the next few weeks. I suspect either the pickup tube managed to come loose, or the sender is going bad. I'm going to drop the pan and check, though.

I'm really leaning towards doing open ITBs on it. I just need to come up with some cash (don't we all?) Looking at a set of Jenveys and an Emerald ECU. From talking to Karl, he's got them on the shelf and Emerald has good Zetec base maps to start with. We shall see...I was also talking to my brother last night about how difficult he thought it would be to put together a Megasquirt. I'm pretty sure I can convert to GSXR ITBs with a Megasquirt for about $1000. However, I hate to reinvent the wheel as far as ITBs and ECU go, when there is off-the-shelf stuff available (albeit at a $2000 premium).

Part of me has been debating getting rid of it for an older Porsche (late 60s, early 70s) but it's cheaper, faster, and more reliable, so I'm not really able to justify any moves at this point. My problem is that I keep wanting to change things up on it, and I don't have the time or money to do it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have you thought about water injection? Doing a meth setup could help you get a bit more timing, and would be some added protection against detonation, just have it either throttle or RPM activated.

Another option is an S/C, and just shim the head up..

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yeah, still running strong. :evilgrin: The oil light popped on last Friday on my way to work, so I drove it home and parked it. Has 5+ quarts in it at the moment, after adding some extra. But I haven't had a chance to tear into it, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to in the next few weeks. I suspect either the pickup tube managed to come loose, or the sender is going bad. I'm going to drop the pan and check, though.

I'm really leaning towards doing open ITBs on it. I just need to come up with some cash (don't we all?) Looking at a set of Jenveys and an Emerald ECU. From talking to Karl, he's got them on the shelf and Emerald has good Zetec base maps to start with. We shall see...I was also talking to my brother last night about how difficult he thought it would be to put together a Megasquirt. I'm pretty sure I can convert to GSXR ITBs with a Megasquirt for about $1000. However, I hate to reinvent the wheel as far as ITBs and ECU go, when there is off-the-shelf stuff available (albeit at a $2000 premium).

Part of me has been debating getting rid of it for an older Porsche (late 60s, early 70s) but it's cheaper, faster, and more reliable, so I'm not really able to justify any moves at this point. My problem is that I keep wanting to change things up on it, and I don't have the time or money to do it.
Why not do the ITBs but run a proper sized plentum and just use the factory ECU with MAF? If you intake piping and MAF was 3" it would not be a restriction. I think that for you just a proper intake manifold would unlock some serious power. Honestly something like the Jay racing intake with a 70mm FR TB probably would give you about 95% of the performance you are looking for.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey seth Ive talked to you over 3 years ago lived in the same town and now live 25 minutes away and have never met you or ur beautiful car. when can we do this man. Id like to ride or meet you at the track! oe something of that nature. and Id also love to have your expierence with my project sedan. Dude Ive lookied at this almost 20 page thread since its started over and over. probally 50 times. blahhh and as always good job seth

·
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 ·
I finally got around to dropping the pan tonight and my guess turned out to be right; the bolts for the oil pick-up had worked loose and were hanging out in the oil pan. I put some locktite on them and buttoned it back up. I'll put oil in it tomorrow and make sure nothing is leaking. I said it once before, but I'll say it again. I'm learning that torque specs don't seem to matter as much as putting locktite on every freaking bolt you put into the car. :p.

Chris, let me know when you need a hand or want to check out the hatch. I'm getting pretty busy at work, but there's always time for car stuff. I'll probably be tied up on my neighbor's Midget for a few more weeks, but we're not working on it every night.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I may have you tied up in a header install as well.

·
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #460 ·
I may have you tied up in a header install as well.
We can knock that out in an hour or two. :p

I drove the Focus to work today. It feels really strong, but it doesn't seem to want to rev as quickly as I remember it, and the idle is hanging a bit. I need to hurry up and convert to the ITBs and get rid of the crappy 65mm TB. :p

441 - 460 of 487 Posts