Ford Focus Forum banner
481 - 488 of 488 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Hey Seth, your build is getting blown up on another forum...they say it's slow, and it's gonna detonate in 5 miles since it doesn't have Tom's tune. LOL!
The word I would use is Tom says its slow and Tom says its going to blow up...

·
Look under the curve... UNDER THE CURVE!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
I put a new coilpack on and replaced the pigtail, since the insulation on the middle wire was cracked. All three wires were actually showing signs of oxidation where I stripped the wire back to solder in the pigtail. I also found that one of the vacuum lines to the evap canister had come loose at some point. Presumably when I replaced the head gasket in the spring. Needless to say, it's idling better.

However, I now have an issue with something not quite disengaging in the transmission. At idle, something is catching and rocking the trans in neutral. There is also a rattling noise ~3000 RPM under heavy acceleration. I'm hoping it's either a loose heat shield or directly related to the neutral drag.

I'm going to try to get the transmission dropped next weekend and see if it's just a clutch issue. It's a stock clutch with close to 40k miles on it. I'm guessing it doesn't like drag launches and 7400 RPM wind outs.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I can't wait for next weekend. I'll provide the muscle!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm glad to see you've been enjoying the car! Although the probs you are running into are normal for the course when you're doing it for the first time! I think you're handling them pretty well though Seth.

Mine is down for the second time with transmission problems, lol. This time a hard downshift broke the bracket that mounts the lower trans mount to the transmission. And at the same time it ripped off one of the bolt holes, and unhooked one of the shift cables! But now that the case is junk, I'm going to just send it to a shop and have them use my old case and install my Torsen this time :D 4.06's would be nice but if this is torquey enough to break that bracket on a downshift I think I'll be ok ;)

keep the updates coming on your car. And if you want some help getting better at the drags, give me a holler. You know I've made a few passes in my day ;)
(two bracket racing first place trophys won with the focus) :D

Maybe we can even have a drag race night and run your car with the high comp build vs my stock motor, bolt on, cams car and see who wins. I've been looking for a reason to get it to Muncie anyways. :D

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Well so far its been two years and over 10k miles and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can I bump a thread 9.5 years later? Might as well.

I have this car now and was just looking at old pictures. She had a good life it looks like!

She's rusty, rockers are going, rear subframe is going. But it's getting everything new in the rear, subframe, arms, bolts, and a massive rear disc conversion. It's serving daily duties beside my mk3.5 ST now.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd like to think the original owner will see this one day .

Another update for bluey. Everything replaced and/or upgraded in the rear. And drives 30x better.

Next is new windshield, struts, endlinks. Maybe new headerback exhaust. Cleaning it up here and there.

Tempted to strip the interior like it used to be. Most of the interior it has is missing clips and rattles.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

481 - 488 of 488 Posts