Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i dont have the money for an off roead pipe ir race header or anything right now so i wanted to gut my cat, is this a bad idea, if not how would i properly go about doin it, thanks!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I recall CTZX3 doing this a WHILE back and he said that gutting a cat really won't do you any good. If any...it's MINIMAL.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Pretty much universally accepted that the shape just doesn't lend itself the smooth flow. You'd need to weld in a pipe thru there or much better just get a cheap offroad pipe (there are inexpensive ones available). Cats are very expensive too, and you could sell one to someone who's cat has gone bad that can't get it replaced under warranty. And note that your exhaust will be considerably louder as the cat.converter acts like a little restriction muffler.

·
Registered
208 Posts
We tried it on our race car. (We tried a lot of things). Made the same power gutted as it did stock. If you want to lose the cat, get a long tube. Plus, that way you can put the cat back on later.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
DONT DO IT!!!!! save it 4 emissions. and get somethin else 2 replace that cat 4 performance tuning.

-Ult

·
Registered
227 Posts
Actually its a cheap temporary repair if your cat died and you can't afford a new one...otherwise I say don't do it. My power was not improved and exahust now sounds wierd...less "sporty".

·
Registered
411 Posts
My car actually feels like it is suffering performance wise without the cat converter in one piece. Mine was a faulty one that fragmented, so I didn't have a choice.

I totally agree with these guys....get a test pipe/downpipe and save the cat for emissions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts