Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any info on what would be better ride between these two set-ups?

I am looking to upgrade my 02 svt suspension now that it has 60,000 miles and feels a bit softin the turns.

Also is it worth doing new bushings anywhere in the system to improve handeling and ride feel?

I am open to other set-ups but it seems that these two options look like good set ups.

I want to be able to take turns, and change lanes flatter and be tight when going triple digits.

Would love to here from all of you that have experience with changing the svt set-up.

I wish I could go to some event and be able to ride in someone's svt with these set-ups....that would be awesome, cash is too tight to pick a set up and have to change it out cause it rides [censored].

sorry for the long post...last but not least how much labor am i looking at for the install (aprox)?

Thanks for your time and knowledge!

Peter

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
your looking at two very very different setups there.

H&R Cup kit is a kit designed to perform well but look better. Yes its a great kit, but its very low and that can cause problems in your area.

its also not super performance oriented.

---

the H&R Race spring/Koni combo is a race proven, track tested, tried and true suspension setup for serious drivers.

unless your prepared for the ride and the handling characteritics, it can get you into trouble.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
ok.

H&R Cup kit has sone set value of progressive rates. you can't adjust anything short of swapping sway bars.

H&R Race springs start at 325/375 spring rates, linear static numbers that never change throughout their compression cycle.

you pair them with konis, which are damping force adjustable you could end up with a car that just slides around corners b/c you've got it set so stiff that the suspension oesn't really really articulate all that much.

add in a set of big sway bars adn you'll be making a recipe for disaster on the street.

I'm by far not saying that the Race spring/koni combo is bad, its far better then any other combo you can get.

just be ready for its changes.
---

What sort of driving do you plan to do?

only street or street/autox/track days ?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I don't have any first-hand experience with them, but this is what I've heard from people that do:

The H&R Cup Kit is a combination looks/performance setup. It will corner flat at any speed, but it's primarily designed for track handling. That means it may understeer at low speeds, which is a tradeoff for performing well at much higher speed. It's very low, which means that you'd better creep over speed bumps. If you have any sort of lip on your front bumper, you may have a problem.

The H&R Race and Koni Yellows are the handling setup, outside of true coilovers. They will corner like a go-kart on steroids. They're low, but not as low as the Cup Kit. However, they will punish you if you're not willing to trade ride quality for handling. The adjustable dampers allow you to soften the ride up a little, but it will still be stiffer than any of the "looks" setups.

I don't think the handling would get you into too much trouble. The stock SVT suspension is more than capable of causing a problem if you drive it wrong. If you drive at the edge of your current suspension, just keep in mind that a no-compromises setup would probably have put you into a ditch by then.

New bushings are questionable. I personally have polyurethane front control arm bushings, and I love them. But they do squeak, and I realize that they'll need replacement after 50,000 miles or so. I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about polyurethane sway bar endlinks, though, and I've heard a few recommendations for poly in the rear trailing arms.

To answer your last question, I payed $300 for full dampers/springs installation. You can probably get a little cheaper price if there's more than one shop in your area.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used koni/eibach sportline and now i am using h&r cup kit.
Cup kit is soft and not enough for track for me but handling, balance, comfort excellent.And also it really has understeer at low speeds.....
i like koni/sportline more, because it is more stiff and nearly same handling...
Koni/h&r race is very good setup, it is too firm but way to go....

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Not to thread jack, but how would koni yellow's & Apex 2" springs compare to the setups mentioned above? This could be relevant because McNews does have one set of those apex springs left (last time I checked.)

I drive my stock ST pretty damn hard around the bends on the street. Will I need to undergo a major re-learning of how the car handles after I do my swap in a couple weeks with the setup I mentioned? (Oh yea, I'm also doing FCA poly bushings at the same time)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just a little clarification on what "linear" means in a linear spring:

If a spring is 300 lbs/in, that means it'll take 300 lbs to compress it 1 inch. However, to go an additional inch (doubling the amount you've compressed the spring), you'd need a full 600 lbs/in (remember, we doubled the amount the spring compressed).

So it's not just a straight 300 lbs for every inch spring compression.

Also, I drove on 700/600 lb/in springs on the street, and it wasn't dangerous. Hell I know people who have driven halfway across the country (to Topeka) on 1200 lbs/in springs.

EDIT'd for clarity

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd say go with the H&R Race and Koni's, even though I'm biased. I think they would provide you with a more competitive ride. It is stiff though, and takes a while to adjust to. But it's great. I absolutely love it.

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
Also, I drove on 700/600 lb/in springs on the street, and it wasn't dangerous. Hell I know people who have driven halfway across the country (to Topeka) on 1200 lbs/in springs.

EDIT'd for clarity
In a focus? Spring rate varies quite a bit from car to car depending on the weight, as you well know. A 1200 lb/in spring on a focus is practically solid, while it might be close to the stock spring rate on an Excursion.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
There are many STS Honda Civics out there with 700-800 pound/inch springs...some with more too, I bet.

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
There are many STS Honda Civics out there with 700-800 pound/inch springs...some with more too, I bet.
I know this. But I doubt many of them are daily drivers. And even if they are, I'd do it. I ride around on Ground Controls all day and it doesn't bother me that much.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
In a focus? Spring rate varies quite a bit from car to car depending on the weight, as you well know. A 1200 lb/in spring on a focus is practically solid, while it might be close to the stock spring rate on an Excursion.
This was in a 94 Integra RS

I've also ridden in the HART STS RSX-S with 4000 lb/in rear springs.

That is not a joke either, they run the heaviest spring Eibach makes.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I've also ridden in the HART STS RSX-S with 4000 lb/in rear springs.
Not to derail the thread, but if they're that serious about STS, why are they not running an old Civic?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but if they're that serious about STS, why are they not running an old Civic?
They run the cars they get because they get them for free.

If that RSX-S weren't as royally f-ed up as it is (one corner is a good 2" higher than the others, it's been wrecked bad), it would be a threat in the class.

How many STS cars can you think of that put 200hp to the ground and rev to 9500rpms? At a ProSolo that car would murder everything off the line, including the HART BS(now AS) S2000.

#endthreadjack

·
Registered
354 Posts
you pair them with konis, which are damping force adjustable you could end up with a car that just slides around corners b/c you've got it set so stiff that the suspension oesn't really really articulate all that much.
Wow and he is right on that one.. I took a corner fast when I was screwing around one evening and slid into a curb. Very expensive fix

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The coilovers are only "better" than the other two options because they're height-adjustable. If he's not going to be switching between street use and track use very often, then that $150 extra is wasted.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Here's MY take....
The Cup Kit is a Nice Street-Only setup.
Nice and LOW, but not too stiff.
OK for Parking Lot cruising and an occasional jaunt.
If you want anything more serious, the Koni/Race Spring combo is unbeatable for Handling.
The Ride is FIRM, but very tolerable.
Once you get a feel for the setup, it's Very predictable.
Tires are the Only variable, mechanically speaking.
I would call it a fairly Neutral setup, as both understeer and oversteer are possible, depending on driving technique.
I Do have S2/SVT Swaybars as well. I MAY upgrade to a Progress Rear bar in the future, but it's not in the immediate budget/priority.
Tires are far more important.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: H&R cup kit or H&R race springs and koni yellows?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Afer going to some new wheels and the stock conti's I have decided to stay away from going to a lower profile tire, roads around LA are just to beat to [censored]. So I am leaning to whatever set up I can get that improves the stock ride height and the handeling but I can use the 215/45/17 tire size.

Will the cup kit work with O.E. tire size for the svt?

Does the cup kit improve the handeling for street,canyon and everyday spirited driving?

Thanks agian,
Peter

1 - 20 of 26 Posts