Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out this out but no luck. Basically I am wondering what the H&R non PCS coilover's dampening setting would be compared to the an adjustable dampening coilover. For comparison from 1-10, 1 being hardest setting for track and 10 being softest setting for comfort, what would the H&R non PCS coilover rate?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Echo...echo........echo.....................echo

I am lonely.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you serious? I would think that they H&R coilover struts would be stiffer then that.

·
I'm bringing Zetec back...
3,345 Posts
I have the non PCS coilovers, and they are very firm. I do not know how firm the PCS can get, but my best guess would be somewhere in the area of 3/4 as firm. The springs are progressive and they seemed alot stiffer when I was slammed last year as opposed to all the way up this year. Either the car handles like its on rails.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
if you do not know how firm they can get, how do you come to the conclusion that they are 3/4 as firm?

dave: adjustable

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
if you do not know how firm they can get, how do you come to the conclusion that they are 3/4 as firm?

Exactly!
Scholar.. unfortunately, the fact is nobody knows!! And without the damper charts of each, with detail of the bump and rebound characteristics at each setting for the PCS, you'll never know for certain.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say, that the setting that they came set to from the factory would be the most similar to the non-PCS setup. The reason being is, that adjustable damping (as "cool" as it is to have) really should only be used by those who REALLY know suspension tuning! H&R most likely only released it because that is what the market calls for. Customers want it.. but in reality, it's not something that should be used to much or it will probably throw off the balance of the car.

H&R took the time to design their non-PCS kit around the focus and it's characteristics with some compromises for ride quality i'm sure. So they probably set the PCS to the damping settings that they "should" be set to for the focus, and if a person changes them, then so be it. But most of us are less likely to know what the focus needs as far as bump and rebound damping, than the engineers over at H&R. At least that's what I think.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys, I appreciate all of your answers and input.

·
I'm bringing Zetec back...
3,345 Posts

I was offering a guess based on the fact that my non PCS are very firm to begin with. I figure a 25% or 1/4 increase in firmness on the PCS for those who go to the track is fair. Also I think that any more than a 1/4 increase in firmness above what the non PCS offers would make driving on public roads(at least Metro Detroit) to rough to handle. PCS are adjustable for those who want to be able to set their cars to their driving comfort. To me that would mean they should be able to be set softer and harder then the non-PCS kit. But like I said anymore than a 1/4 increase above the regular coilovers would be too extreme for public roads. H&R offers race coilovers for some cars(not Focus)and there I would expect a drastic differance in firmness above what the regular kit offers, not from the PCS. Thats just my guess and opinion, please don't take it as a final word.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts