Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of possibly switching my setup from H&R coilovers to H&R Race springs with Koni dampers. I've noticed that a few people are running the setup and are happy. Its too bad that there aren't more Foci around me, that way I might be able to get behind the wheel of the set up.

One of the reasons I was interested in changing, is because for some reason I though adjustable ride height would be helpful and even useful...but its just a waste for my current uses, at least the way I see the setup right now. Also wanted to start playing with damping adjustments, possibly even getting them revalved to get compression adjustment too.

Anyone have any observations of either setup...why one may be better than the other in an autoX situation? Please not consider street manners because I don't care much about about how stiff my ride is, cause I like it ALOT!!!

CCC

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
Too many. Well, probably less than 40k, but I think I have a bent strut right now. Still need to take the whole front end apart and fix it.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too many. Well, probably less than 40k, but I think I have a bent strut right now. Still need to take the whole front end apart and fix it.
Boooooo...

Tell me how you like the setup!?!?

Anyone else have any info?

CCC

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
I <font color="red"> <3 </font> my Race springs/ Konis. I've driven other setups on other cars, and still think this is the best balance between harshness and streetability while still being track worthy. The setup is a well proven success, and the overall responsiveness is excellent.
I have unfortunately never driven a coil-over equipped focus before though, so I can not comment on how they feel comparitavely.

The only thing I would change on this setup is a little more oversteer, which I hope to get once I put the rear bar on. If I can get more oversteer out of her, I'd be in heaven. The height is a nice middle ground between low and 4X4. It looks aggressive, and maintains some ground clearance (enough that I can drive around without worrying too much about my RRG splitter, except when animals run in front of me
). Any other questions, I'm happy to try and help out.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd actually like to pretty much copy your car...so you could give me a run down or just give it to me

But seriously...I really want to try and build a competative SVT and and become competent driver of MY car. As my sig says I wanna be an STS Civic killer...truthfully that may be IMPOSSIBLE but I would like to get to the point where I could get noticed at least at the Divisional-level to show that the Focus can be a competative platform.

Even if I fail thats cool, but I want to try and you need a goal before you do anything. Changing my suspension setup is the beginning, then come dedicated tires and wheels...

We'll see...

BTW...which camber plates do you have and how do you like em? I've heard ALOT of complaints, but I clearly NEED them.

CCC

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I am happy to hear you are considering the H&R race/koni setup. It is great like said in the above posts. The only thing is if you want to make a Civic killer I think its going to take more than this setup. Something close to 500lbs spring rates would be great, a coilover so you could corner balance the car.

I still couldn't get enough rotation out of it today, it's good but a little more tweaking could have been better and my car still isnt prepped to the point I'd like it yet.

I ran against Kevin McCormick (ultimate STS civic) today at our National Tour, he smoked me with 49.0 against my 51.7!!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it will take MUCH MUCH more to be like Nationally competetive, and thats not exactly my goal. I would like to just be a Fast Focus, not a class killer like those damn Civics, but I would like to annoy them a bit.

Its gonna take me about a good 2yrs of autoXing like 3 times a month to get where I want to be just as a driver, so the car's setup is just something i can change now and learn on my way.

The reason I'm kinda trying to get away from coilovers is because I can't conerweight, don't have the time and or resources for that. So I'm trying to find the ideal setup with "simple" springs and dampers.

CCC

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I am happy to hear you are considering the H&R race/koni setup. It is great like said in the above posts. The only thing is if you want to make a Civic killer I think its going to take more than this setup. Something close to 500lbs spring rates would be great, a coilover so you could corner balance the car.

I still couldn't get enough rotation out of it today, it's good but a little more tweaking could have been better and my car still isnt prepped to the point I'd like it yet.

I ran against Kevin McCormick (ultimate STS civic) today at our National Tour, he smoked me with 49.0 against my 51.7!!
500 lb springs? sounds like a wee bit too much...we are running 350/450 on the race car and it is eminently tossable with virtually zero push....granted it has never seen an a/x, only tracks, but i think 500 would be pushing it. especially if it is a car that sees any time on the street....

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Gary last month I was able to drive one of each the same day while coaching at Streets of Willow. Although I cannot say what rates were on the cars, both were having understeer on the sweeping corners. To me it seems a little to stiff in the front and to stiff in rebound dampening

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
squirt loves fast sweepers..feels like a rwd car in em...although my guru, john cummins from kearney still wants me to stiffen some more....but to me it feels almost perfect now

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
500 lb springs? sounds like a wee bit too much...we are running 350/450 on the race car and it is eminently tossable with virtually zero push....granted it has never seen an a/x, only tracks, but i think 500 would be pushing it. especially if it is a car that sees any time on the street....

Granted I have never tracked my car, its hard to get a car to rotate at lower speeds. If you want flat go cart handling for an autocross focus the spring rates should be higher than H&R race. The H&R race are great, not bad in any way, just think about a car that doesnt roll or pitch.... I think it was take that kind of suspension to be a civic si killer.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
RallyRide,
I agree. Though H&R Race Springs are rather stiff, I think 500-ish+ are definitely reasonable to Go All Out and still drive it home.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Gary last month I was able to drive one of each the same day while coaching at Streets of Willow. Although I cannot say what rates were on the cars, both were having understeer on the sweeping corners. To me it seems a little to stiff in the front and to stiff in rebound dampening
Did you forget about me? Don't underestimate the H&R sports and Spax. Everyone that rides with me is amazed that I still have a stock rear sway bar (no back seat mind you). I know you didn't get a chance to dive my car but it is amazing how easy it is to get it to be balanced. Stiffen up the rear too much and it will over steer like crazy. A few clicks down and it becomes balanced and smooth. Yes, I know there is probably more to be had from the suspension, but this setup is perfect for me and I have heard nothing but good thing from many veteran/experienced racers.

It seems that the few times you and I have ever posted in the same post it has been about suspension. How wierd.
Allan, I'll try to make it down to Cali again soo so you can try my car out to see if I'm full of BS (just don't bend anything!)

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
I had always read that it wasn't ideal to pair a progressive rate spring with an adjustable damper. Is this not correct?

Also, no one ever talks about the GAZ coilovers. They are adjustable and they offer the option of various springs from 250-500lb rates in 25lb increments. Seems like a good option for someone who wants to try a unique combination.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Not necessarily. I run Intrax/SVT (progressive) springs with Koni's in front and Spax adjustables in back. Now I have a set of H&R race springs waiting to get put on--and they may be on for this weekend...

I've had reasonably good success with this setup, but it is certainly not "the answer" for an street-driven STS suspension--which I need as well.

I still get more understeer on turn-in on the fast stuff than I'd like. Once it takes a 'set' it's good and I would hope that the linear springs will let that happen as soon steering input is introduced.

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
No prob, but without driving the car. I really shouldnt comment, although you feel real good about it.

I'll keep you in the loop about where I'll be in case you wish to run with us.

For sure 9-21 At big willow
Might run 7-8 with Speedtrial USA
For sure 11-4 weekend but not sure if the Time attack Puhrump Nv to defend the Limit rear drive title.(or) instructing with SVTOA at Buttonwillow.
Prob with Nasa at Buttonwillow early October

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WOW...this thread blew up. Cool.

CaptainOrange:
I'm glad you posted about the Spax. I just sae a set up for sale and started wondering why i hadn't heard anything about such an adjustable setup, noting that from what I know the Konis would have to be revalved to had compression damping adjustment, which I'm assuming the Spax has that capability.

I figured that because most autoX/track setups I've herad from the people in this forum were either the H&R coilovers or the Koni/H&R setup. I guess I need to go back through and find one of those "Post Your Suspension Setup" threads.

I guess it seems that there is only one way to find a setup that works for you...seems a bit more subjective than I first though, so now I have to try and get behind the wheel of some other Foci, or just fork up the money.

CCC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts