Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been warned, but I had to try it anyhow. I ordered a pacesetter shorty header. What a piece of crap. Bad welds and it was cracked, which you could not tell until after it was installed. Maybe it was a dud. I just know that that is the last time I will order a product made by pacesetter. At least it was only $137 including shipping and I can send it back. So now I'm ordering a f c race header. I hope their headers are of better quality. I guess you get what you pay for.

[ 12-02-2002, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Jet powered go-cart ]

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
That is for sure. Just make sure that you specify that you want the newest version of the FC header. Check your PM's

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
137...i've had my pacesetter coated that i picked up from bat almost a yr ago now. not one problem with it..

·
Registered
56 Posts
you must of had a dud .. now i did have some excessive weilding inside the collector that i honed out to help the flow.. and after i through way the instructions that told me to take all kinds of off and loose that did not need to be. it went right on. if you have some good quarter inch swivels. all you have to take loose not remove was that metal line running across the front. I also have hood louvers over my header an no problems with rust.. well not yet.. when i was at Nopi the PaceSetter guy was going to sell me the coated one for $160.00 but i had already had mine and can order the hotCoat and do at my bro inlaws for 30 bucks..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I must disagree. I have the Pacesetter on my ZX3. Have had no problems with it. Bolted right up, coating looks good. Price was right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never said that the header was a problem to install. Actually, it installed very easily. It's just the welds and the crack between the flanges. That is unexceptable, cheap price or not. The company obviously has some quality control problems. They really need to work on that "some products are good and some are bad" thing. I guess its like I and many others have said, You get what you pay for...

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
yeah, for $130 it didn't make that bad of a mod

especially considering its lasted me over a year now

·
Registered
641 Posts
Pacesetter is not crap, i think maybe you got one damaged in shipping. Mine has been on for over a year and is still perfect.

Jamie

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is why we buy JBA

·
Banned
1,599 Posts
Pacesetter= crap. You get what you pay for, if you want crap then buy Pacesetter. Unless you want crap in your engine then dont buy it. I dont know about you but I dont like crap, and I really dont like crap in my engine. Dont buy CRAP! Spend the money so your engine wont crap on YOU

Might as well throw a hot steamy pile of crap in your engine, thats what its gonna look like when you go with pacesetter. what pace do they really set, anyways. How long it takes for them to crap on you?

Down with CRAP!!

[ 12-04-2002, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: thinkfast ]

·
Registered
56 Posts
now what is crap if if you think those other headers are worth 400+ ,, if you pay that then oviously you you have to much money or you dont know how to work on things yourself. a pound of hotcoat for headers is like 30 dollars.. and as far as the bad weilds eather send it back and get another or take to to a muffler or weilding shop and get them fixed for 10 or 20 bucks.. it is the cheapest for a reson but it is still a sound product.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have only seen a Pasesetter on a NEON and it was a real nice piece, no problems in over a year. It was a header and cat back. thats just my .02

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I installed a pacesetter on my friends car, it was a non coated that he got ceramic coated.

And it WAS a POS. With the header on the car, the cat was off by 3/8th of an inch, if we bolted the cat right to the header, there was a 3/4 inch gap at the bracket at the back of the cat.

It was just WAY off.

you can get good quality shorty's for what, 200$ more? For knowing that it will work, knowing you are getting a good quality piece with nice welds, and since the company's that make the header (READ Focus Sport) are sponsers of this Board, I would much rather buy that then the Pacesetter. It is very well worth the extra investment.

And it's ok if that' all you can afford, but don't try to leverage it as it's good, and people are stupid for buying the more expensive one.

Just like comparing a KIA to a BMW, the KIA does the job, it get's you to where you want to go, not that pretty looking, not that well made, but it's MUCH MUCH cheaper then the BMW, which is really nice looking well built car. A KIA driver can't say that all someone needs is a KIA, and why would anyone buy a BMW?

·
Banned
1,599 Posts
ya really. I mean if you want to buy crap, go right ahead. Dont hate on me because I dont want crap in my car and I buy the "higher end" headers. I mean., come on now. I really dont wanna worry about having to rent a car because the crappy headers took a crap in my engine bay, because of the crappy welds. Now I have to go to a shop to have them re weld it? pfffft yea right. Let me get in line for that deal.

Dude all I see is you trying to defend crap. thats what it is, face it. Noone likes crap, if you dont want to save up for nice quality headers and not have to worry about them taking a crap and the welds falling apart then do it.

My $2.50

·
Registered
144 Posts
-----you but cheap-----you pay twice-------

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
seems as if this is the 1st big case about PS headers and issues arising. lookin at it, they've all cracked, however the PS is the most cost effective at fixin and after the investment 2 fix. or so if u get urs warrantied by FC, FR, FS or JBA, then thats more money outta ur pocket 2 ship it back, and the time u take in gettin it out and then back in. that pacesetter uncoated, most fixes can b done on-car (expertise req'd) and then again u guyz let these companies all get away w/headers (race or shorty) that fail early, often, and pitifully. so if their all bound 2 fail at some pt, then i want the cheapest 1 which also is the cheapest 1 2 fix. now if the PS was a biatch or expensive 2 fix, then i wouldt have it. granted i still run the stock 1 right now and if i did run an aftermarket 1 and it cracked, yes i'm more mechanically inclined and have access 2 more tools than the average person, but u have 2 cross this territory when u get into this...cars dont run fine and dandy all the time stock, u think its gonna happen w/changes made, dont think so. any1 who thinx all this is plug and play doesnt know what their in 4. and any1 who thinx that any exh part 4 ex should go in w/o any kickin, cussin, beatin, wrenchin, yankin, pullin, pushin, pryin, bendin, bangin, cussin some more hasnt done much w/cars. not callin any1 out. but u must realize that it is true u get what u pay 4 and buyer beware. however delvin into modd'g ur car, no matter who/what/how/with u use, this bridge will have 2 b crossed at some pt(s).

-Ult

·
Banned
1,599 Posts
All I know is I had a goo dexperience with thew JBA headers, they never once took a crap on me or my car. Now for you that didnt know, JBA will replace the headers whenever you want as they have a LIFETIME warranty. yea, that means you will have a set of headers for as long as you own your car.

A weld somehow breaks on them? Send them back! Dont like the finish on them anymore? Send them back! You can send it back whenever you want for whatever reason. In my experience they have sent the new headers FIRST, you switch them out on your car and then you send the old ones back (even old beat up JBAs arent as big of a piece of crap as a new PS) and ship it with the label they give you.

Simple as that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts