Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow...thats a mouthful. Well after I corded 3 tires at yesterdays autoX Corded Tire Pics HERE (where I placed 2nd to add insult to injury) I decided to take the plunge and get another set of max performance tires versus something like a Kumho Supra or Falken 451

I happened across Discouttiredirect where I found the Kooks for $95/tire (215/45-17) and free shipping and figured it worth the extra $80 over the $67/tire + shipping Kumho 711s.

I can't remember if any Foci are autoX'n the Kooks yet, but I'll be giving them thier baptism by fire this coming Sunday...assuming I get them before the end of the week. Any opinions?

CCC

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Neat-o street tire.

I paid 111.88 each for the 215/45-17's at America's Tire/Discount Tire two months ago...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neat-o street tire.

I paid 111.88 each for the 215/45-17's at America's Tire/Discount Tire two months ago...
How do you like em? Have you autoX/tracked them at all?

CCC

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Any opinions?
Funny you should ask…I was just going to start a post with mine. However: I’m not really going to answer your question specifically, because I haven’t autocrossed on mine. This is my quick take on them as an open track tire…

In short: I don’t like them.

Semi-relevant, somewhat-quantitative stuff:

- Full depth 225/45-16’s on Kazera something-or-others (about 15-16lbs /tire)

- 2004 ZX3 2.3, CAI, cat-back, SCT tune, SVT springs & dampers, Progress rear bar, Carbotech XP8 front pads, stock rear drums

- Summit Point main, 7/16-17. Rough track, mixed surfaces, 90deg air temps, super humid

- I’m a ‘turn in early, carry lots of speed, sort it out on entry, but don’t sacrifice exit’ kind of guy. I generally don’t drive the ‘classic’ line, and you could say that I enjoy exploring slip angles, thanks. My threshold braking was crap, thanks to fried abs sensor.

- Tires were mounted up just before the 300 mile drive to the track, and I drove there on them. I’ll be daily driving and track daying them until they expire.

- Starting cold pressures: 32 LF, 33 RF, 34 LR, 35 RR (loosely based on Egz’s conversation with someone at Hankook). This resulted in a very sloppy, understeering car that wagged it’s tail a little unpredictably with forward weight transfer. Hot temps ranged between 39-41 psi, but I forget which corners.

- Adjusted hot temps to be 42 psi all the way around, which was a big improvement. But – track temps went up a bit by the second session. I left the pressures as they were for the remainder of the weekend, and the balance was about the same.

- No rollover onto sidewall was evident.

- Last track tires were ebayed 215/45-16 RT-215 Azenis, 2 of which were starting to get the blue film of death. Prior to that, I had 215/45-17 Firestone SZ50-EP’s on needlessly large-n-heavy, but cool looking SVT Euros.

Qualitative stuff:

- Really soft sidewall. Tragically soft. Hatefully soft. Softer than the Firestones.

- Very little feedback, bordering on numb.

- They get greasy maybe a little sooner than the Azenis did, but don’t go off as badly. Like the Azenis, they don’t seem to get significantly worse once they get greasy.

- They *seem* to wear somewhat quickly (full tread didn’t help), but I neglected to measure depths before and after.

They’re a compromise tire, and I should’ve known better -- a little too stiff for my liking on the street (at 33 psi), and a bunch too soft for my liking on track. I have no use for more grip in an open track tire, so they were fine in that regard. Price was good, but not quite worth it to me.

YMMV.

·
Registered
50 Posts
this issue of Grassroot MotorSports did a test on it, against Azenis 215, 265, Kumho MX, Advan Neova, Goodrich K/D. it came in 4th or 5th. the negative thing was it is heat sensitive, so you need to cool off the tires just like Azenis 215.

·
19,806 Posts
Neat-o street tire.

How do you like em? Have you autoX/tracked them at all?

CCC

Nope; street only and a very spirited mountain day run (with other Foci) where they pushed (understeer) at the limit in a very tight switchback, but that was prolly me over-driving them and my suspension set up. I was running 34 front / 34 rear cold.

Since then, I am running 34/32 cold. If I ever auto-x them, I will play with front pressures first.

Curious about that conversation Egz had with whomever it was at Hankook about tire pressures...

My car has the OE spec SVT suspension.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
My car has the OE spec SVT suspension.
As an FYI (which you probably already know), the SVT comes from the factory with a 32/29 tire pressure split, (printed on door tag even) so for balance, I'd try at least a 3 pound separation.

·
19,806 Posts
As an FYI (which you probably already know), the SVT comes from the factory with a 32/29 tire pressure split, (printed on door tag even) so for balance, I'd try at least a 3 pound separation.

Thanks, Lorin. I was wondering what that was. 34/31 it is.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've got a review on the Hankooks in this thread at the end...>>>Clicky
However, I've got 2 more events, and 1,500 miles on them now.
I can safely say they're working out mighty fine!
Treadwear is not going to be a plus for these tires though,
mainly because mine are also my daily drivers.

Track impressions: (truncated version)
1) Rotate after each event!
2) Turn in response is very good.
3) The louder I make them scream (to a point) the faster my times are.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seanmc...
Whoa, I had no idea they were that bad...well GRM has them one place about my MXs I just corded, so i have HIGH aspirations since I LOVED my MXs!!! Guess we'll see soon enough, thanks for your input though...I'll keep an eye on pressures and roll-over. You mentioned that they are a compromise tire...compromise how? Between what and what else? Keep in mind that I'll be autoXing these, maybe they're just not a great track tire.

WD40...
I can't wait to get em...I'm glad you like em, we'll see if they do the trick for me.

Actually I don't plan on autoXing these for more than 2-3 events before I get a dedicated set of tires and wheels, most likely with Azenis 615s. So I'll go beat em up this weekend and compare them to what i remember of my MXs while relatively useful, as opposed to now.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
They aren't as bad at autocross. I was at an autox a week before Summit Point, and I had the fronts up to 45psi to get them to stop squealing as much, and to minimize rollover. However, the story is different on the track. Unlike sean, I'm still learning, and have a lot to go, so I drive a more classic line and don't push them nearly as hard. However, after about 17-20 minutes on track, they started to get greasy under me, causing me to have to compensate on turn in and throttle inputs.

But don't forget, on track, you see much higher speeds for much much prolonged time compared to autox. If you are going to use they just for autox, you'll be fine.

Oh, regarding what the Hankook guy said, IIRC, for autox he suggested 38psi front, and 44 psi rear (not really sure on that), and 40ish psi all around for track. Obvisouly, they have to be tailored to the Focus, as they are just from the hip guesses.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Seanmc...
Whoa, I had no idea they were that bad...
Ahh, they're not *that* bad, but they weren't as good as I was hoping. After the first-gen Azenis, they're disappointing.

I should add: they seem to turn in well, but then get a little...overwhelmed, maybe? They stop talking shortly after initial turn-in, but they're responding to input. They're doing *something*, but it might not necessarily be what you want.

Y'know?

They're a compromise tire, in that they're not serious race rubber, but a little (just barely) more than the average high-perf tire. Actually, it seems like Hankook couldn't decide if they wanted to make a super high performance tire, or something a little more hardcore (like the Azenis).

Can't give you much on the a/x front, though.

Omni - thanks for the heads up on the SVT pressures; I didn't realize that they spec'ed such a spread!

·
Registered
175 Posts
So I'll go beat em up this weekend and compare them to what i remember of my MXs while relatively useful, as opposed to now.
Well, don't expect too much at full tread depth.

They're going to feel a bit squirrely till you wear some tread off.

With this event this past Sunday, I've now got 3 AutoCross sessions on them.
Right now, they're working quite a bit better than the first event.

As far as pressures, this is what I've been running.
Asphalt track, 85-95° track temps:
F/R - 43/32 cold 45/33 hot
Concrete track, 80-90° track temps:
F/R - 41/35 cold 43/37 hot

NOTE:
This last event was my first time on a concrete track.
I started at my normal asphalt pressures, and adjusted from there.
Pretty much each run, I dropped a pound out of the fronts, and added a pound to the rears,
and ended up at the aforementioned pressures.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Random Q..why don't people run more pressure in the rear? Wouldn't people run more pressure in the rear tires to help the rear not has AS MUCH traction, allowing the car ro rotate easier? I understand that having as much in the front that allows for you to use the whole tire w/o rolling over, but why would the rear have less? I guess my logic may be way off...just want someone to clear it up. Thanks..

I'm gonna take it easy and just play with the pressures based on what you guys posted here...but I often get competetive if my class has people who are close who are colse to my times or just faster, so we'll see.

BTW...I remember that there were alignment specs floating around that were good for autoX...but what would be a conservative alignment that will be best for tirewear, seeing as I still have to drive from here in NY to FL in the middle of August, noting that the SVT (as you all know) can't adjust much, if anything. Thanks.

CCC

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I use the SPC "plates" and have a bit over -2.5*, but keep the toe at about zero. I drive about 80 miles each day with my commute and have had no funny wear issues with either summer or winter tires.

As for the Z212's, it seems that they don't prefer alot of pressure compared to some other tires, even though the sidewalls are on the softer side. It also seems that the f/r pressure like to be pretty close--within 4 or 5 pounds of each other (this is not "Focus-based" info, just general stuff that I have picked up) I have heard to start 'low ' and work up to a good pressure as opposed to bleeding down...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow...I thought we could only get about 1* with any of the available plates? So with those you can net -2* and not have wear issues? Cool.

CCC

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
They take what you have and give you an additional 1*.

The drop on my car got me about 1.5-1.6...plus the plates

·
Registered
175 Posts
Random Q..why don't people run more pressure in the rear? Wouldn't people run more pressure in the rear tires to help the rear not has AS MUCH traction, allowing the car ro rotate easier?
Thanks.
CCC
Well, I'm still getting used to the Hankooks, as I've only run them in 3 events so far.
But, I did run a bit more in the rear on our asphalt track here in Helena, up to 36psi,
and promptly lost the rear end in a heartbeat.
Went back down to 33, and it stuck like I was on contact cement.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ask...becuase I've been just about always running more than 40lbs in the rear ans still couldn't get it to rotate like I wanted it to until the tires were worn down to like 2/32nds...what was a doing wrong? Guess its time for that rear swaybar I've been eyeing...

CCC

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hankook RS-2 Z212 (JUST DELIVERED)

YEAH...they're here. i just had them delivered to my aparment managing office and pick em up. They look ALOT smaller to me than when i first got my 225/45 MXs delivered about a year ago.

I'm excited, plus this means I can autoX this weekend...so that makes it just that much better. I'll get pics of the MXs next to the Kooks when I go to get them installed after work...wait, crap...I work till freaking 8pm maybe I can sneek out early.

CCC

1 - 20 of 27 Posts