Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I did a couple searches, and couldnt really find anything useful...So, heres the problem:
Occasionally, when I go to start my car, it cranks forever, and no go...Sometimes, if I keep it cranked for like 10 or 15 seconds, it will slowly burble to life...Instead of firing up and the revs jumping to like 1500-2000, the tach slowly starts to climb (as do the revs of the engine)...Its kinda like the engine is 'spooling up', if that makes sense...It happened once to my truck a long time back, but never again so I thought nothing of it...Now its happening all the time to my car...Its usually after its only been sitting for a little while since I last drove it, but not always...It also seems to happen more often after I have just had my car up on ramps, or jacked up...And when I pick it up at the dealer after service, it almost never will start the first time...Its almost like its not getting fuel, and sometimes if I hit the pedal while cranking, it will fire to life like a carbed engine does (at least the one in my brothers old SS) ...It doesnt seem to be a fuel pump related issue because I dont have any problems with fuel delivery any other times...Just when starting occasionally...
Sorry for the long post, but any thoughts on the matter are greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I do not own your engine BUT, I recently had my fuel pump go out on me. The car would start fine, idle fine, but when you hit 4000rpm's..it would stutter....did this for 2 weeks and then it died....even if it doesnt seem like a fuel pump issue...it may be. I also recommend checking the fuel filter(external filter)and if you may have a bad injector. I would think yours is still under warranty...get it checked soon or you may be stuck on the highway like I was with a dead Focus and a nice tow bill at the end of it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you figured this out yet?
This happened to me yesterday. The car cranked but wouldn't start. I sprayed some hard start fluid down the pipe and it finally cranked. It had a MAF code set, so I figured the hard start fluid might have cleaned it, but I don't know. Hasn't done it again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts