Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who makes a harness bar for a ZX3 that is not part of a rollbar or cage?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Harness Bars anyone.

It is only for autocross, not road racing or time trials, etc.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

powerworks is working on a nice harness bar. You can pm the guy with the orange powerworks car, I can't remember his name right now. If I find it, I will post it here.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts

Powerworks sent me pics of one once. PM CODESVT, he will send you a picture of it, looked like a nice piece.

·
Registered
874 Posts

You don't want one if its not part of a cage.
care to elaborate on this?

not every one needs a cage for road racing.
I think he's refering to the fact that you don't want to run a four or five point harness in a car without a bar or cage. If you end up on your roof, you can't move and might suffer worse injury than a three point belt.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

You don't want one if its not part of a cage.
care to elaborate on this?

not every one needs a cage for road racing.
you absolutely must have a cage for road racing...there is no sanctioning body in america that would let you through tech and get a log book allowing you to road race without a cage, current belts,fia seat or seat attached to the cage, etc etc etc....now if you are talking about just toodling around on a track day, that is a different matter..but door to door competition requires a long list of safety modifications, including a six point cage

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts

This is going to be in an FSP competitive Focus. I haven't read up the rules, but maybe cages aren't allowed in FSP, but harness bars are.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts

Yes - please PM me with your e-mail address and I'll gladly send you pics.

We have prototype harness bars designed for 3-drs and 4/5-drs. Looking for enough interest to get them into production.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

If you have your rear seats removed, it's very easy to make a "'rear chassis brace' that just happens to be a decent place to hang harnesses from".
Have you all seen my pics?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Your design was one of the options I was considering. The rear seats have to remain in place, but they'll never be used, so it might be a good one.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts

If you have your rear seats removed, it's very easy to make a "'rear chassis brace' that just happens to be a decent place to hang harnesses from".
2004 SCCA Safety Symposium entitled “Are You As Safe As You Think You Are?” is now available on DVD, courtesy of the SCCA Foundation in conjunction with Dodge Motorsports, Kumho Tire and Chicago Region SCCA.

• “Belts and Harnesses: What’s holding you back?” – Mr. Carl Schroth, General Manager, Schroth
Safety Systems, GMBH

For those who haven't seen this, Carl "RALLYE3" Schroth hisownself reccommends belts be as short as possible due to engineered stretch. Also that any loops be against the attachment bar.
The trap you get into, is I'll wear this harness ALL the time because it looks cool. May or may save your neck, literally, in a rollover. Same with belts that are too long saving your face. see Subaru crash of last month.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts

Here are some pics of our prototype harness bar.

Camera mount not included. 3-dr shown. 5-dr is similar ... the B-pillar tabs go further rearward and the cross-tube ends are bent at more of an angle. The bar shown is set-up for a bolt-down Y-harness (NHRA requirement). Most road racing orgs (SCCA, etc) require a H-harness (wrap around style). My point - the cross-bar won't come with any specific harness attachment schemes .. wrap around is the easiest.

Cross-bar (1.25" OD x 0.083 DOM) attaches to some custom standoffs (supplied) on the B-pillar that replace the seat belt slider track lower bolt. A clearance hole needs to be drilled into the plastic trim cover.
The uprights (1" OD x 0.065 DOM) attach to the rear seat belt latch attachment holes (once latches removed - easily replaced) with supplied bolts. The entire thing bolts in/out in about 10 minutes.
All mounting plates are 1/4" thick steel. 1/8" thick tabs on the cross-bar for the upper upright mounts. It will be powerdcoated black in production.

If this potential product interests you ... please PM me your e-mail address so I can keep track of the interest level (if you haven't already). By all means, let me know of any questions.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

Brilliant! I particularly like the tie-in to the rear seatbelt mounts for extra strength, otherwise the bar spans a long distance. I had to use 1.5" x 2.5" SOLID 4140 steel bar to get past this problem. It weighted a TON. And the belts were long as has been mentioned.

Good engineering work as always guys.

Still left with the question "is a harness safe without a cage?" I still feel that overall it's safer than using stock 3 points. There's less chance of a rollover than a straight in or side impact, and a harness will help in both those instances. The guys in the Porsche GT probably died because they had a side impact, and the 3 points couldn't hold them. There is *some indication* that the guy in the Boxster died *maybe* because the airbag snapped his neck because of the chin-bar on his helmet. The helmet was partially removed from his head.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts

Yeah, P and I have had this discussion before.
Good looking bar, best solution I've seen.

For AutoX it would be a great setup.
Track day at 9/10 maybe good too. I've never seen a top collapse at a track event...knock on wood. But working at a hospital I have seen the results of rollovers. Many were survivable because the driver was thrown sideways, and kept in car, or around here pickup truck.
Squat down beside your car. Look at where the windowsill is.. Compare that with the top of your seat.... Visualize where your head would be........ Fold at line A.....
We'll wait.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts