Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harnesses - Camlock\'s worth the extra $$$?

I'm in the market for a harness and was just wondering everyone's opinions on whether or not the camlock systems are worth the extra money over the normal latch types?

For example the Simpson Platinum 6 point harness is $150 for the latch type or $260 for the camlock system.

Are the latch types that much more difficult to get in and out of? I'd be using the OEM belts for the street, so I wouldn't mind a slight PITA getting them on at the track. I just want to be able to get out fast enough.

p.s. I'm posting this here in instead of ICE because I'm only interested in track-related opinions.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Re: Harnesses - Camlock\'s worth the extra $$$?

You mean instead of "Interior"???

I've never heard of a Harness-mounted CD Player or DVD Player....

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Harnesses, when used properly, can probably be very entertaining.

Umm.. yeah, instead of Interior.

·
Registered
537 Posts

umm Slick. the crow one I showed you was camlock according to louis.

I am gonna get one.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts

YES, GET CAM LOCKS.

Forget the big names, look at G-Force or Crow Enterprizes. They are just as good, and a LOT less $$$.

Why are you getting 6 points? the only cars that need 6 pt are formula cars. According to the article in Sports Car The main purpose of the "Anti-sub belt" in a standard car is to prevent the lap belt from rising up in the event of a crash. The seat is designed to keep you from submarining. 5 point is sufficent.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

The 5 vs. 6 point debate is subject of another discussion. I personally like the design of the new generation 6 point belts, and it's likely what I'll be getting next.

As for latch vs. camlock, if you are getting a 5 point, I suggest to stick with latch. In my opinion, there isn't much advantage to the cam lock.

The latch is slower to put on, since you are sort of... "assembling" the belt. But they are just as fast, if not faster to take off.

In my mind, the latch system resembles a ripcord... just find the piece of webbing and pull. It just pops open. I think it's more intuitive, and maybe easier to do should you be blinded or whatever. Grap. Pull.

The camlock is still easy to use, but you have to find the little knob. Not a big deal, but I don't see much advantage. Also, I'd bet the latch system is easier to figure out for a responding emergency crew that is not familiar with these systems.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

If you plan to do schools, get a cam lock. The latch and can be a pain for those who are unfamiliar.

·
Registered
65 Posts

...camlocks are definately nice, but i had a hard time justifiying in cost over standard latches.......i'll be mounting the set of g-forces (latches not camlocks) i got tomorrow......i tried to look at realistically how many schools i would be able to go to in the 2 yr life of the belts, and figured about 5 or 6 sessions for each day at a school.....2years x 5sessions x 10days = 100latches.....i desided i could handel latching the belts 100 times for the price difference.....keep in mind that some schools require the same safety equipment for the instrutor as the driver....meaning you might want to think about buying 2 harnesses........the cost of the camlock over standard latches just doubled........i know some will argue, but i also figured as long as they have the same certification, they're equally safe so i went with the cheaper g-forces.......the money i saved will help pay for a lapping day....

·
Registered
140 Posts

i've gor the g-force 5-point latch style. they can be a pain sometimes, ecspecially for passengers, it usually takes them like 5 miniutes to figure them out. i kinda wish i would have spent the extra cash for the camlocks. but the latches work just fine.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

slick i have just one thing to say. camlock,camlock,camlock. okay i fibbed. seriously for years my best racing buddy talked me out of cams in my itb car. they'll come undone to easily, blah,blah. what a mistake i made listening to him. they are a godsend, especially in my dual use car. when i need to merge on the road, i can unlatch so i can turn to see, then quickly relatch. no more fumbling w/belts in the false grid when you've missed a two minute warning. try g-force racing or summit for belts. the rci camlock from summit is in the 135 range and is an fia certified. i think g-force is about the same. also bill simson has a new company and is offering some deals. and p.s. i know this went on past one word but the new 6 pointers, especially bill simpsons looks promising.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts

Call me old fashion, but I prefer flip latch, and price doesn't really come into play when I buy belts, even though the webbing pretty much all comes from the same place- the way they are stitched seems to be the big difference. I had a crash in the formula ford I had and the cam lock bound up when I tried to get out and I was using Willans belts- amazing how many times I could think "oh,f***, OH, F***" before I got it loose.. Flip latch is idiot proof when you are trying to get out of car, and I've never had one open accidentally. I think they are about the same buckling up. Both are a pain, if you find you are sitting on one of the belts.......Oh and six points tend to hold onto your legs in a frontal crash where as the 5 point grabs your....well you know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts