Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

OEM is also available. Oh here is the website: http://www.thebrakeman.com/ford

Yes they do carry these for the Focus. Really weird looking.

Focus 00-02 Storm Brake Kit Front, 13" x .81" Procast, F4 Tornado 1.50" 001-0033
Storm Brake Kit Rear, 12.19" x .38 Caliper Relocator 001-0034
ConvO.E.M. Rotor Front (each) 303-8161
ConvO.E.M. Rotor Rear (each) TBA
Pads, F #3 Autocross/Track (axle set) TBA
Pads, R #3 Autocross/Track (axle set) TBA
Pads, F #7 Street (axle set) TBA
Pads, R #7 Street (axle set) TBA

Brake Lines (4 lines) 101-1530
Brake Fluid DOT 3 (12 oz) 7-0577
Brake Fluid Xtreme6 (500ml) 7-0102

Roughly Storm Kit goes for $2200

·
Registered
748 Posts
I wouldn't say weird, just an alternative. They came out a bit after I did my first kits. Nice parts no complaints from me.

The rotor is simply 'scalloped' to reduce weight and also aid in venting. The addition of gas slots is somewhat redundent, but looks are everything to many.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
zetecinside:

Those are the breaks that HotRodKris is running on her car.

They are on this car:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Where can I get that magazine?!! Those brakes look really neat, I was just wondering, the slots on those don't go all the way to the edge or the rotor like they do on normal slotted ones, wouldn't the dust just get trapped in there?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The rotor is simply 'scalloped' to reduce weight and also aid in venting. The addition of gas slots is somewhat redundent, but looks are everything to many.
Todd, why do I get the feeling you are being a bit nice with this?

I still don't get the goal behind the "scalloping", even if it's not "swept area" being removed.....isn't it area that would provide more thermal capacity-- a huge reason why one goes to bigger rotors in the first place?? and how would the shape aid in venting?? It is unquestionably neato looking, but it's hard not to see that as the only strong explanation for the practice.

......and why do I get the feeling TCE would never feel the need to offer "scalloped" rotors??

·
Registered
809 Posts
those look sweet!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
NNNNNNNNoOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOOOOooooooooOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<Beating head mercilessly on desk>

Not the farking WAVE rotors for the FOCUS!!!!!

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping the Focus would fly under the radar of that idiot.

Those things are the dumbest things ever. There is no relevent phsyical principles, or data to show those things improve the stopping power of the car. The only info the guy can offer is "We did some testing that wasn't back to back, using different different cars and different drivers, and we can conlude that these brakes will in fact not kill you. The advantages are that you have nice flowery looking rotors behind your nice pretty wheels."

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
well that rotor design has been VERY affective on bikes i.e. motorcycles...so why not on cars?
Bikes and car brakes are nothing alike. There is a huge difference between needing to stop 500 lbs vs needing to stop 3000lbs. They cannot help cooling, because you have removed mass which decreases the thermal capacity of the rotor. If that wave is low enough, and the pad doesn't touch part of the rotor at the low points, then you've removed swept area. That can't be good.

These rotors are pretty, that's really about it.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Those rotors would look so "cute" on a Beetle with the flower/daisy or Ronal teddy bear wheels.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Gee thats funny, I would think that since bikes havea HARDER time braking that they would be looking at all aspects in order to improve braking time & response
Funny how they've been using these in bike racing for a while & it improved for them...how would that change with just vehicle weight?...Nope, sorry...gonna have to dissagree with this one so far till I see more... I think they're great.
Actually, does anyone else here have these that can do a "head to head" with some of the other types of big brakes out there? Maybe Kris could use her car & someone elses? I'm sure we can do some 60-0 & 100-0 somewhere

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
couple considerations...

1.) Surface area. More area for the pad to grip... the more stopping power

2.) Heat dissapation. The more metal there.. the easier heat dissipates and spreads out...

I gotta think that the standard brakes are much more effective.

Kris.. bring Sponge out to willow... we'll test it!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Those things remind me of the weird "flower-power" shaped vinyl records from the 70's

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Oddly enough, these style of rotors and calipers were being used by more than one F1600 Formula Ford race cars at the ALMS race at Mosport.

Oh... One other thing you guys forgot about braking systems:

Leverage.

The Porsche GT3RS cars at Mosport where using at least 14" rotors (eyeballing it). However the outer diameter of the rotor to the inner diameter of the rotor, where it connects to the hat, was maybe 2" wide -- max! The calipers extended a long distance though, contributing to the large swept area. I just found it intersting the shear size of the hats that were being used.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The Porsche GT3RS cars at Mosport where using at least 14" rotors (eyeballing it). However the outer diameter of the rotor to the inner diameter of the rotor, where it connects to the hat, was maybe 2" wide -- max! The calipers extended a long distance though, contributing to the large swept area. I just found it intersting the shear size of the hats that were being used.
My 13" Wilwood rotors are the same way. From the outer edge of the rotor to the inner edge where the hat attaches, the surface area of the rotor is only 1 and 3/4 inches wide.

·
Registered
156 Posts
its not the mass amount of metal its the distance around that improves the heat dissapation, the brake pads only touch a small area at a time, if the breaks are bigger in circumfrance then there will be a longer amount of time before the pad touches the same spot twice, there for reducing the friction/heat.................. so, I think that a set of the flowers that are 13" would work the same as any other sloted 13" disc would!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on people think physics

1 - 20 of 25 Posts