Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, when I was coming from church in Van Buren, MI, I saw a gun-metal colored "new & shiny" Lotus Elise.

I checked the car again and again, and there's no mistake. Even the car's license tag was a normal one (not manufacturer's test vehicle). However I couldn't tell what state it was. It was bright yellow graphic backgrounded license plate. Obviously not Michigan plate.

A rich "looking" lady and a passenger were on Elise.
It was a very nice looking two-seater.

I was thinking Elise hasn't been released yet???

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
The US Spec cars won't be here till mid-April '04. I just went with a friend to leave a deposit yesterday. There are a few Elises in country for Lotus Cars US to use and generate interest with - I suspect you may have seen one of those. It should have had a Georgia plate on it if it was one of those cars, as that is where their corporate headquarters are here.

There have also been several cars imported and converted for track use using Honda engines, but I'm not sure if they could be legally used on the roads. It would be possible for a foreigner to bring one in on a one year visa and register it that way. I know of one owner doing that in Northern California.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
teh guys stuffing honda engines in them are selling hte elises as kit cars for road use. Apparently it's a real PITA, but it's been done by a few.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I read somewhere that when the Elise is finally brought over to the U.S. officially they signed a deal with Toyota to use their engines.Does anyone know if this information correct?

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
unfortunately, yes.

I wonder if i could snag an elise chassis and stuff a duratec in it...hmmmmm

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
What do you mean "unfortunately"
The Toyota engine will be a perfect fit for that car.

The US spec Elise will use the Celica's 1.8L 4-cyl with an adjusted power output of 190hp. It should also make use of the 6-spd manual. For a car as light as the Elise, that will be plenty of power in a very reliable package.

>8^)
ER

1 - 6 of 6 Posts