Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have an ultralite flywheel (aftermarket)

Just had one installed on a ZX3 and we are noticing a relatively high pitched sound that eminates from the tranny side of the motor upon startup. This sound only happens during the intial crank-over and never continues when the car is running or driving.

Focus Sport said it could be that the installer (a Ford Dealership) did something incorrectly when they reinstalled the starter (You need to remove the starter to drop the tranny)

Any one has experience with this ?

X2

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Carizme:
No, but mine sounds like its chattering. I dunno if its the clutch or flywheel<hr></blockquote>

the chattering is the transmission and is completely normal w/ the flywheels lighter weight, as far as start up sounds....none to report here

·
Registered
412 Posts
it sounds like the flywheel is not hitting the starter right. if its only upon starting and thats all.

mike

·
Registered
816 Posts
lightweight flywheels usually do chatter... I've noticed this in many cars...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by si hunter:
it sounds like the flywheel is not hitting the starter right. if its only upon starting and thats all.

mike
<hr></blockquote>

What do you mean by 'now hitting it right' ?

The chatter you are hearing could be one of many things. My friend's zx3 chatters on release of the clutch... that was a bad throw out bearing (replaced, problem gone) It also chatters during acceleration at certain rpm ranges. I also noticed this on other zx3's and thought it was a production quirk due to loose tolerences, but the Ford Dealership has attributed it to a pinion gear and shroud, which, coincidentally, are on back order for 2 months.

Also upgraded clutches, especially those with multiple friction surfaces, tend to chatter during engagement only.

X2

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
so the dealer can install aftermarket parts? cuz im getting some connecting rods and pistions and want somebody to put them in

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hotfocus:
so the dealer can install aftermarket parts? cuz im getting some connecting rods and pistions and want somebody to put them in<hr></blockquote>

No particularly... my friend's svc advisor is an old buddy of his

But the Focus was created for the aftermarket in mind, so installing Ford Racing parts should be fine by them... I don't know about much beyond that... as far as non-Ford parts that is.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i know when my flywheel was installed it made almost like a turbo boosting up sound. but it was the flywheel not hitting the starter right. i know about the throw out bearing chatter because i have a bad one and my problem was not that.

mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts