Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help ASAP. yesterday my car stop running. I towed to the shop. But before i have friend is mechanic he checked the fuel line and found there is no GAS it seemed the faulty fuel pump. And i got message from the shop where i towed the car they said its a blown head cylinder. They said the water and oil is mixing and cause the head crack. But about last month i just make oil change and there is nothing wrong. Also 2 month ago i changed timing belt also flush the radiator coolant and found no oil done by mechanic. Also my engine running very smooth i used mobil 1 synthetic. I cant even tell if my engine are running if i am inside the car. My car 2001 zetec 2.0 dual cam and it has 130.000m. Is it because of high mileage? I also got van is 160.000m on it and never change the head.? Is the shop try to rip me off?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I would think so...

I usually thought A Head gasket would blow much sooner than a head... because isn't the gasket like the weakest part?

Have you had a fuel pump recall? I know there were a few models of focus that were notorious for that problem.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
The head gasket can blow when the water temp is too high (too high of water pressure) or just from old age and high miles. It could be because of high miles on the Focus.

Cracked heads happen most often because of lack of coolant.

What likely happened is the head gasket went, which lead to coolant loss, which led to a really hot cylinder head, which eventually cracked it. The other thing I can think of is that maybe your car was slowly leaking coolant if it was a victim of the "thermostat housing gasket" problem. Some way or another, you didn't have enough coolant in your engine and the head cracked. That is how cracked heads happen.

On the plus side, you could go get a "head package" from somewhere like focussport.com and get a pretty large increase in horsepower. (it's kind of expensive, though) or you could simply replace the cylinder head and flush the engine to get rid of all the coolant that's probably in the oil, and oil that may have mixed with the coolant.

Either way, it's going to be a kind of pricey repair. If you were near Kansas City, I'd help you replace the head. The expensive part will be getting a new head from Ford, and the hard part will be getting all the stuff off your old head and onto the new one (cams, valves, springs, retainers, tappets, etc)

·
Registered
786 Posts
The expensive part will be getting a new head from Ford
Naww man, Ebay or a focus site, heads can be had for under 200 bucks easy. Don't bother going to a ford dealer for this part, they'll rape your wallet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts