Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm lucky enough to live close to a VERY good performance shop (Watson Ruppel Performance WRP). After the work they did for our Nova project, I'm very inclined to let them P&P my head. I'm planning on Crower springs/retainers and obviously new seals. Anyways, on to the questions.

1. Is there a better valve option than the Ford Racing units?

2. Is there anything I need to take note to regarding my FI dream? I'm NA and will be for likely another year or so, but FI is definately in my future.

3. Outside of porting to fit the larger valves, are there any other specs I need to consider?

4. Would milling maybe .020 or so be much of a problem? I figure a little compression boost now would be great, yet not a problem for basic boost and if I ever get into serious boost I'll need lower compression pistons anywho..so, milling .020, more, none??

Any other suggestions or whatnot are appreciated..thanks

Carl

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
depending on how much you are paying for your ported head, you can always go and get the Ford Racing head....it is CnC'd, 3 angle valve job, milling if you want it, bigger valves and it's not bad for it's price : )

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was gonna check the total cost of having WRP do the work vs. what I can get from FR..cost:benefit pretty much.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No one??

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Don't mill it if you're gonna boost it in the future... you'll get a nice gain without it and higher compression kills boost.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, McNews is selling the FR head for $875...I think list is $945 or somen..that only has stock springs and retainers anyways..so figure 1100 for the the FR + Crower springs/retainers..plus shipping... I think I'm better off the go pay Mr. Wattson a visit. So, back to my questions..

Valves..any options better than the FR?

Are there any specs other than the valves I need to specify? I'm thinking there might be, but I'm not 100% what they are and what would be optimal. Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Crower has stock size and 1 mm oversized intake and exhaust valves that are very nice. The valve is under cut and the stem necked down for better flow. They are about $150 for a set of 8 intake valves. You will have to regrind the valve to widen seats for the big valves. Seats are very hard material to cut. Big valves don't help without a ported head.

·
TEAM Member
2,059 Posts
Actually, McNews is selling the FR head for $875...I think list is $945 or somen..that only has stock springs and retainers anyways..so figure 1100 for the the FR + Crower springs/retainers..plus shipping... I think I'm better off the go pay Mr. Wattson a visit. So, back to my questions..

Valves..any options better than the FR?

Are there any specs other than the valves I need to specify? I'm thinking there might be, but I'm not 100% what they are and what would be optimal. Thanks.
You won't need better springs the FR head has better springs than stock. The price has gone up due to the upgrade. Tom's new head has these springs my new head has the upgrade above those.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts