Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How involved is it? Camshafts are already out. So at this point, is it just a matter of taking out the factory head bolts?

Any tricks of the trade that may be helpful? Anything I *shouldn't* do over the course of removal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Be very careful removing gasket... The head is aluminum, and you could scar it, and that'll end up in a nice leak.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
don't use an impact to install or remove the head bolts. use a breaker bar if they are tight, just what a mechanic friend told me when we were taking the head off another 4 cyl car.

question, why did you take the cams out before taking the head off?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am sure others will chime in but I believe you may need to drain the coolant before you remove the head.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Yeah just remove the headbolts, (not with an impact as stated above) and all obvious electrical connectons. Leave the intake bolted on and lift it off all as one.

Scott

·
Registered
786 Posts
question, why did you take the cams out before taking the head off?
Because you can't access some of the head bolts with the cams in place.

·
Registered
231 Posts
How involved is it? Camshafts are already out. So at this point, is it just a matter of taking out the factory head bolts?

Any tricks of the trade that may be helpful? Anything I *shouldn't* do over the course of removal?

Thanks in advance.
Not involved at all if you've already got the cams out. I personally take the intake off before I remove the head, but you can do it either way. On a side note, the head bolts are torque-to-yeild. This means that they stretch when you install them, thus, they are not reuseable. Also, as long as you de-torgue the bolts in the proper sequence, you won't harm anything using an impact.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
What did you do to install your head on the Marcy block?

I believe there's a specific order to taking out the head bolts. You might want to consult a Haynes/Chilton manual. Also, be careful with some of the stuff attached to the sides of the head. You'll think you're free and clear and you'll have missed a bolt. I know there's a very pesky one to get out around the alternator. I'm sure you'll have fun.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About the fuel rail, this thing can be bolted off and pushed off to the side right?

In other words, I won't have to deal with any fuel drips...right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Fuel drips are no big deal, if the car sits for more than 30 mins there isn't any pressure left in there so its minimal. There is a bolt in the alternator bracket that goes into the back of the head, very hard to see, even harder to access. It does very little so I just leave it out since my engine seems to come apart every 2 months anyways. haha. Like stated above its best to unhook everything thats attached to it, but if you undo the vacuum lines to the intake mani u can leave it on if you want to. Head should lift right off, and the gasket shouldnt be a problem, they usually don't stick too bad. One thing to watch out for, never reuse head gasket, but examine a new one thouroughly. They are bad about not being cut out all the way and some of the water and oil passages are blocked off or restricted. I've gotten 6 head gaskets now that are bad. good luck, fun project, be careful

g

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Theres two different head gaskets from Ford available. One has restricted coolant passages, one doesnt. Why? I have no idea. You have to get XS72-6051-CA. Not DA. Or... get a bitchin' SCE Copper gasket from me. Available in 6 thicknesses and they seal like a mofo. None of them are restricted.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Theres two different head gaskets from Ford available. One has restricted coolant passages, one doesnt. Why? I have no idea. You have to get XS72-6051-CA. Not DA. Or... get a bitchin' SCE Copper gasket from me. Available in 6 thicknesses and they seal like a mofo. None of them are restricted.
Thanks, I'll def. keep ya in mind when the time comes.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuel drips are no big deal, if the car sits for more than 30 mins there isn't any pressure left in there so its minimal. There is a bolt in the alternator bracket that goes into the back of the head, very hard to see, even harder to access. It does very little so I just leave it out since my engine seems to come apart every 2 months anyways. haha. Like stated above its best to unhook everything thats attached to it, but if you undo the vacuum lines to the intake mani u can leave it on if you want to. Head should lift right off, and the gasket shouldnt be a problem, they usually don't stick too bad. One thing to watch out for, never reuse head gasket, but examine a new one thouroughly. They are bad about not being cut out all the way and some of the water and oil passages are blocked off or restricted. I've gotten 6 head gaskets now that are bad. good luck, fun project, be careful

g
Thanks!

BTW, you have a PM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts