Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just interested if anyone herd of a swap between the SVT head and the Zx3 bottom becuase the SVT has VCT and i would really like to get that on my foci if anyone has any info please reply thanks and hope to be seeing alot more of the jet peace
TeamZx3

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm fairly sure that you would have to swap out more than just the head -- like ecu and maybe wiring harness to suite the new ecu. Something has to control the VCT...

·
Registered
745 Posts
for the svt head to work you would need the ecu and wiring harness to work...however some have speculated that making a switch similar to a vtec controller may work...i dunno...however a swap of the svt head without VCT or the dual stage intake can be done by using the frIntake Manifold because the SVT has better flow charicteristics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i would have to use a SVT wire harness and ecu im not really good with the tech terms im good at the hands on kinda stuff how much time and money do you think im looking at and what kind of parts does anyone think i would need?
TeamZx3

·
Registered
158 Posts
besides, it's been proven that you can get more airflow out of porting your zx3 head. raise the compression right along w/ that and you'll have a better head than the svt.

·
Registered
745 Posts
yes but doing the same to an SVT head would yield a proportional increase in performance...and since you would need to supply a head to be altered sending the SVT head while keeping yours on the car would help keep down time minimal.

...ditto for the duratech head since it flows better than the SVT

[ 11-27-2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: iamgod ]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Originally posted by iamgod:
yes but doing the same to an SVT head would yield a proportional increase in performance...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no, you would get the same increase. It's still the basically the same head. You can't port the svt head any more than you can port the zx3 head. Likewise, if you raised the compression on the svt head you could do the same on the zx3 head. It just costs you more to start out with svt parts.

and since you would need to supply a head to be altered sending the SVT head while keeping yours on the car would help keep down time minimal.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if you buy a head from FS, you just mail in your old one after you get the new one. Better yet, FocusCentral just gives you a new head without any core exchange.

·
Registered
745 Posts
true...however the point of topic is that he wants VCT...what saleen says is tru about the worked head but the ability to have the cam adjustment on your car ZX3 is a good thought but in reality its a handfull...if you got the cash you can do anything.

if you care to know...you would need to aquire the SVT head, the SVT exhaust header, the SVT ECU and wiring harness, a Ford Racing Intake Manifold and i believe it uses a 4.6l throttle body (ask CRTZX3) you would need to remove the corresponding zetec parts and replace (that includes running the entire wiring harness...which may or may not work with everything verify with others)keep in mind there is an issue with the location of the SVT header and some wires that may cause an issue.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I dunno about the zx3 head. But I do know that the svt is supposed to look something like this Esslinger stage 2 head cept with the vct on the other side. Does the zx3 head look anything like this.esslinger stage 2 pic 1 Esslinger stage 2 pic 2

[ 11-27-2002, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Gregersonsalvage ]

·
Registered
745 Posts
i don't know prices but it isn't cheap...and for the moeny and time i think you would be investing i think there are better options for power and torque. if i was you i would wait 3-4 months and do a duratech swap.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by iamgod:

...ditto for the duratech head since it flows better than the SVT
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can this be done?

Are these not two completely diff engines?

Has anybody worked up any #'s(cost) on Heavily porting a SVT head (head included)...

Last but not least are there any comparison #'s(Flow Bench #'s) between a Heavily ported SVT head and a Standard Zetec head?

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
from what we have seen so far the SVT head will out flow the fully ported zx3 head on the intake side

on the exh side there is not much differance but some

the stock SVT cams are better also making power to 7500

tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tom E-mail me some $ figures on what a COMPLETE ported SVT head would cost...and what all it would take to get it to work w/ a ZX3 ECU.

Thanks
Dennis

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
The problem at this time is getting the SVT heads and all of the SVT head pieces ,VCT cam gear,cams,etc

Dennis i am working on some cams and a sheet metal intake for the FI cars lets try those on your car first

tom

·
Registered
329 Posts
hey tom, where do you get your intake manifold gasket for the svt head with a ford racing intake??? the stock manifold uses o-ring type gaskets doesnt it? is the stock svt manifold using those o-ring type gaskets too?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts