Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed many a times but I'm still a little confused. Maybe yall can help.
If I buy a race header will it replace the cat? or will it bolt to the cat? Can I just buy Race header, Flex pipe, Hi flow cat and exhaust and have a muffler shop put it all on? Will I need anything else? Would it be easier to just buy the muffler and have custom pipes ran so the cat can be welded on? I am very confused so any help is great. One more thing will this cause the check engine light to come on and will all sensors still hook up? Thanks in advance for the help. Yall are great

adam

also what kinda of gains would i be looking at? noticeable?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
It will go like this in order...

Race Header-Flex Pipe-Exhaust.

So yes your cat will be replaced by with a Race Header and yes it will set off the CEL no matter what you do, high flow cat or not you will need an O2 cheater or a custom burned chip or just live with the CEL.

Your gains will be awsome if you have cam gears and tune them Id say 15whp easily after tuning...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cool one more question how do you hook up the 02 cheater and can i still get a hi flo cat and weld it in a different spot so that the emissions wont be to bad? Also what exhaust should i go with if i want gains but not loud at all with the race header, I have heard on the jet that magnaflow is loud but that the FS on with the resonater is quiet. Could i get the FC race header and flex pipe and the FS exhaust with reonator?

adam

·
Registered
158 Posts
I myself live with the CEL, I take good enough care of my car to no the light is only from the header. $30 bucks for piece of mind(O2 cheat),might be a worth while investment. But for the gains I got, that light is a small price to pay.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You can build the cheater yourself if you don't want to buy one. I think it is worth the trouble. With race header and flex, your car would be really loud so you should go for the quitest cat-back (they are in fact all flex-pipe back's) you can get.

And yes, you can get the mufflers and have a exhaust shop build the piping for you. It would be cheaper but will be worse than a aftermarket cat-back as it would not be stainless steel and have crushes at bends...

You can also put a high-flow cat for emission and sound reasons, but that would not steer you out of a CEL unless you extend the sensors up to after the cat, which is more trouble than getting a cheater...

Hope that helps...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts