Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a header and i wanted some input on the brands yall use.i was thinking of getting JBA shorty. do yall have any suggestions about a header to look into. i would get a race header but i dont want to have cops stopping me for stupid bs.

thanks for the info,

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
well if passing emissions is a concern to you then get a shorty header. Focus Sport, JBA, and Focus Central are all good headers. Some people have had cracks develop in their JBA headers but JBA has done several redesigns to remedy the problem. I have a 1st gen JBA w/ zero cracks around the welds. I check it frequently though. IF emissions isnt a problem Focus Sport, and Focus Central make long tube headers that will put down some great numbers. If you dont have a cat-back exhaust system yet i would say the addition of either long tube or shorty headers wont put in the range for a noise violation. However w/ some cat-backs and long tube headers it can get down right mean. Its just up to you.

If you are planning on going the shorty route you can always get a high-flow cat by random tech to oepen on the flow a bit more. HTH

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have had the JBA for about a year and like it. I noticed a real gain when I put it on. I would suggest however that you put on a good catback system before you install a shorty header. You will get more bang for your buck that way; the shorty, or other type of header, should be your second or third mod to the exhaust system (after a catback, flex pipe, maybe a high flow cat). If you are concerned about attracting unwanted attention from the cops, get a "quiet" cat back system to go along with your header and try not to nail it when they are around. My exhaust is loud, but I haven't had any problems with the police-I try to keep it under control.

2000 ZX3 JRSC, 65mm TB, MAFS, Random Tech, JBA, MBRP, modified Volant.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was thinking of getting a borla cat back exhaust and a jba shorty header. how would that sound on the street

thanks,

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
i ran the borla w/ a jba it was great...not too loud. Now I have added the random tech cat and Focus Sport Flex Pipe and it roars when you you step on it. But still not loud enough to get a ticket. It definately had its best sound before the cat and flex pipe switch.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Wedge1212:
i ran the borla w/ a jba it was great...not too loud. Now I have added the random tech cat and Focus Sport Flex Pipe and it roars when you you step on it. But still not loud enough to get a ticket. It definately had its best sound before the cat and flex pipe switch.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">would it be a good idea to get a highflow cat also??

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
yes, definately. Of all the components in the exhaust system, the stock cat is the big bottle neck. When i replaced that the difference was night and day. Definately the first mod on my car that freed up serious power.

--EDIT--

of course it does get expensive going the emissions friendly route

Header - APX 350
Hi Flow cat - APX 350
Flex Pipe - 100 to 130
Cat back - 350+

[ 12-03-2002, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Wedge1212 ]

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Wedge1212:
yes, definately. Of all the components in the exhaust system, the stock cat is the big bottle neck. When i replaced that the difference was night and day. Definately the first mod on my car that freed up serious power.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so if i get a jba shorty, high flow cat and borla exhaust they should fit together correct? also if i get the exhaust professionally installed could they also install the high flow cat?
thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts