Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, i need to thank my good buddy Troy (goldse) for helping me out with this project. we used his garage and his tools, and mostly, his knowledge and ability. thanks again Troy!

the reason i wanted the old header removed was because awhile back, i bottomed out really bad (due to having a lowered car, coupled with the fact the L.A. has the worst roads in the universe.) the bottom portion of the header was scraped flat, and the flange union between the header and the cat was bent back from the impact of bottoming out.

we didn't take that many pics because the camera batteries were almost dead, but here's what we snapped:

brand new header installed

bottom header flange (just before bolting up to the cat)

brand new O2 sensor

a look inside the cat (not bad for almost 90k miles!)

a look up from underneath

while the header was off, we decided to have a bit of fun and fire it up. sorry there isn't any sound on this video, but the video speaks for itself. man was this thing LOUD!

FLAME ON!
header flames.mov

during the process, we decided to port match the head for better airflow. there is a noticeable difference in throttle response now. eventually, the head will be removed and ported and polished.

because the flange on the cat is still bent back from bottoming out, and the flange from the new header is perfect, there is a small exhaust leak because the aren't completely flush. i have plans for the randon tech hi-flow cat, which will be going on very soon. i will post pics of the progress.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
It looks like a lot of fun! I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to remove the 4 bolt holes on the top of the header where the shield used to be? I was thinking about getting my coated and getting rid of the shield, but would like to smooth the top of that out to make it look really good.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i remember seeing a long time ago on here that someone ground them off, but i honestly don't remember who because it was so long ago. they really don't bother me, though.

·
███████
2,662 Posts
This was fun for me to work on this car
1.) I get to ride in a S/C SVTF

2.) I get to hang out with good friends
3.) WE SAW SOME CLEAN BLUE FLAMES !! And it was SO LOUD !!
4.) Sucker for the whine sound at about 4-7K RPMS
5.) No more check engine light....untill the small exhaust leak caused it to come back on (leak at the flange)

6.) I get to hang out with beerbelly too !!
(just a little though, too busy drooling over the supercharger

All And All it was great, I can't wait for you to get those other parts so we can get your car sounding like a focus and not like a Volkswagon
(as You put it)

Here are some pics of the old header and the damage.....

Troy - goldse

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
How hard was it to remove the heat sheild? After you remove all 6 bolts does it slid down so you can get to the 9 bolts that hold the flange to the block? Or did you have to rip the heat shield off to get to the header bolts?

I have a coated header that is waiting to be installed. I did have the stand offs ground off before coating. I had a local shop do the work, but when I get the old one off I might try to do do the work myself. Give me a day and I should be able to get a picture of the header up.

Ok here are a few picts of my coated header.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
...coupled with the fact the L.A. has the worst roads in the universe
I challenge you on that - I think Detroit or Flint, MI have the worst roads in the universe. Ask anybody.

Header looks good.

·
Inked Hotness
1,414 Posts

it's okay... i was busy drooling over your wife.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
...coupled with the fact the L.A. has the worst roads in the universe
I challenge you on that - I think Detroit or Flint, MI have the worst roads in the universe. Ask anybody.

Header looks good.
Ouch!

·
███████
2,662 Posts

it's okay... i was busy drooling over your wife.
I know what you mean..... I drool over her too LOL !

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow...I was gunna respond to the comment about LA's roads and someone beat me to it...LOL! I have to agree, the Detroit area has got to be the worst! Just take I-75 North till about Jefferson and go either direction and you will soon find the truth! If memory serves me right, east down Jefferson has a speed limit of 35 then goes up to 45 but you can't even do 20 safely!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Oh and this is how they fix bad roads in that neck of the woods, and as anyone can tell you....it doesn't really work.
You will notice the lack of machinery need to smooth this 'patch-work' method of repair, that's because they just plop it down and let the cars smooth it out!

web page

web page

web page

·
Registered
94 Posts
Michigan is really bad. I drive to downtown detroit for work everyday. All of my rims are slightly bent. One was so bent out of shape that it had to be replaced. But they all still balance out good. hmmm

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I ground off all but the middle 2 off of the header and then had it jet coated. I am planning on making a small plate with a build number. If you get a chance, grind them off and ceramic coat. Looks hot!!! I just uploaded some picks to imagestation. If someone can post them that would be great I cant get the image to work. Heres the link ceramic coat header

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have been considering coating my header for a long time... but i am afraid to do it, and then damage it if i happen to bottom out again

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
How much does a typical coating cost?

How bad would it be to run a header w/o the heat shield?

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
running header without heatshield will cause hood paint and other wiring under the hood to get over heated could cause cracking in paint job

I've seen it happen, only reason i have not removed mine

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I forget how expensive coating the header is typiclly, I got a really good deal and had it done. Heres the link to the price list. I got it done here in CT. GReat looking job.
I totally understand the fear of bottoming out again. I hit the header once pulling up to a curb...barely touched it, but I turned pale. With a coated header I am even more careful.
As for the heat/melting issues, since I dont run the heck out of my car, I dont think it would be an issue. Plus with the coating, it retains heat w/in and there is less dispersed to the engine bay.
My reccomendation...do it if you have a chance. It only takes a few days, and its a work of art when done. Elder...do IT!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts