Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone taken apart their headlight switch?? im trying to add factory fog lights to my S so i bought a SE headlight switch but it has autolamp function. i dont need or want that function so i want to replace the the stock center switch with the one with the fog light buttons. ive taken the back off and the circuit board but cannot figure out what to do next... :dunno:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Why not just use the SE switch and ignore the autolamp function? I have an SE, and that's what I do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
because i dont want to "ignore" it lol

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
If your car didn't come with autolamps, I don't think that switch will add the functionality. Ford likes to use Smart Junction Boxes, and they add features to that. So just adding the switch usually won't activate a feature. I highly doubt the headlight wiring harness even has a signal wire for that switch position (or the fog light)

I recently took apart my switch in the Fusion when I added fog lights to it, and I assume its the same design, where there are metal contact pins that get pressed down based on the pattern in the bottom of the rotated knob. If you are worried that it will activate, you can just remove the contact for the auto lights. (however, you will still have the position and icon for it)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know the autolamps dont function with just the switch. it doesnt affect the headlights what so ever when i switch to that position, im just looking to get rid of the autolamp icon on the switch and only have the 3 positions (off, running lights, and headlights). ill use the stock switch (no fogs or autos) if i can move the fog light and dimmer buttons over to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello, I have a 2002 svt and need to replace the headlight switch. It looks like if I open the fuse cover I can get to it. Are there screws or clip holding it. I order new switch, should be here this week. Any help would be great

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced the headlight switch on my 2012 Focus S (base model with no autolamp feature) also, but low and behold now I have that feature just by replacing the switch! Evidently the cars are wired the same. The only thing I can't figure out is how to make my HELLA driving lights work to the fog lamp switch, which is why I replaced it in the first place! The switch activates the fog lamp feature through the BCM. I had to wire the driving lamps with the high beams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts