Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when to the track on wed. and got a new time on the 1/8 mile. 10.5. i found out my time went to a 10.8 when i did back to back runs.after the back to back runs i popped the hood and felt the intake tube. that thing was almost untouchable.im thinking about using exhaust wrap or AL foil type desing to keep temps down from the engine. has anybody done this yet? cuz i almost got beat by a saturn in a car club i dont like

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Iceman is your best friend..you can touch the intake tube after driving 8hours straight and leave your hand on there for another 8 hours no problems with heat on iceman...mmm plastic...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Which intake are you using, a short ram, stock, what?

You can wrap it with an insulated foil wrap, that will help. Also, between runs, ice it. Keep a couple bags of ice in a cooler, and between runs put the bag on your intake kit, even the intake manifold.

[ 10-27-2002, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: myFordPerformance.com ]

·
Registered
301 Posts
Alot of the turbo civic guys wrap there intakes, If I ever get around to cutting up my CAI to fit with the turbo I' gonna wrap that sucker a couple of times

·
Registered
65 Posts
I rigged two aluminum shields back-to-back between intake tube and engine. They seem to take the heat and dissapate it before it gets to tube.Used 1/2" to 3/4" grommets to keep the shields sepperated.Lower one is larger.Both are curvy shaped to match tube and rolled to contour of tube.Of course once you shut down engine, heat rises and it does get warm,but when sucking cooler air it seems to help.Also have $20 indoor/outdoor temp. monitor w/probe fitted into intake tube,about 5" from throttlebody.I can watch temp. drop as I drive and do mods to intake to improve cooler air intake.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I use the stock intake tube for now, with a close cased filter at the end of it (kinda like pipercross vector kit with biger casing)

I sealed the intake tube with KaimanFlex (a high performance sealing equipment used for air conditioners) and it seems to work really fine...Costs practically nothing as insulating material is quite cheap...

[ 10-27-2002, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Cem Aygun ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts