Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm about to most likely buy a Focus. I'm 95% sure it's going to be a ZX3, and I'm 100% sure it'll be a manual tranny. I like the new interior more than the old one, but it's not that big a deal.

My question on which is a better car, a used 03 or 04, or a new 05? Obviously the new one is new, but it also costs more money. But, not much more. The new one I'm looking at will be about $12,300 plus TTL. A used 03 will go for around $9 or $10k.

But is the new 2.0 Duratec vastly superior to the old engine? I've only found one 04 with the 2.3, and it was only $400 less than a new one, it had a lemon title and few options. All others have had the 2.0 Zetec.

I don't plan on doing many mods to it, but I do plan on driving the snot out of it for the next 100,000 miles, if not even longer.

I'd love to get an SVT, but they're more money than my wallet (and wife) will allow.

Thanks in advance for input.
Jeff
redsuperhawk

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The Duratec 2.0 is, stock for stock, a better engine than the Zetec. Mild bolt-ons will put an even bigger gap between the two. However, the Zetec has a much older and thus better-developed aftermarket for wilder mods. But for just an intake/exhaust or something like that, the D20 is the better choice.

The 2.3 is even better, of course, but a lemon may be a problem. Try to find out what happened to it. If it was lemoned for serious engine trouble, it's possible that they dropped a new crate engine into it. That's the standard "fix" for internal engine trouble on a D23E.

Edit: by the way, welcome to the Jet!

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
Welcome to the Jet!

Where the interior of the 05 is much different, plus the fascia, the D20 is a great little engine, much better than the Zetec. With the aftermarket paying a lot of attention to the Focus now, you'll see more and more goodies for it shortly.

But, there are still a LOT of options available for the earlier cars.

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
Where did you find the ZX3 with the 2.3? Lemon or not, i may be interested in that. PM me!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
White Bear Lincoln Mercury in White Bear Lake, MN.

Linky

I am not affiliated with them in any way. They also have 3 SVTs, but they were all lemons too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts