Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, they passed a law effectively repealing the motorcycle helmet law here in PA.

Simple question: Why are automotive manufacturers forced to include airbags in every car when motorcycle riders aren't even required to wear a helmet? It just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Well I don't mind the fact that people aren't required to wear helmets, it's their skull.

As for the airbags, I don't mind the manufacturer adding airbags to all the cars. What I DO mind is the laws saying it is illegal to tamper with them. It's our car!!

Bahhh.. I dunno.

·
Registered
536 Posts
We had that law passed here in Florida a few years ago.
The funny thing is,the people that passed the law saying you didnt have to wear your helmet,which was 4 people I think,including the head agresser which was a female,have all died in motorcycle accidents.The female died within one year of passing the law.
Would they have lived if they were wearing a helmit?Who knows,they say yes.Aint that strange??

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
It just doesn't make sense to me.
I think it's because helmets dont always help you in case of an accident... and they reduce your visibility... and, bikers dont like to wear them. Airbags almost always help in case of an accident... I think. I grew up in a biker family, so i'm neither for nor against helmets.
I AM against riding with sneakers, sandals, or shorts.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
One of the reasons, is believe it or not, but motorcylce riders are much more of an interest group than automotive enthusiasts. What I mean is that they are very political, usually a lot older with much more money, and invest heavily into people pulling these laws into their perspective.

With auto enthusiasts we seem to only have manufacturer's and a group like SEMA fighting for our rights or what we want. Motorcyclists are seen as a seperate group while automobiles are driven by the majority and not just a small group, so when laws are made for cars/trucks/suvs, our politicians think they are only saving mom carrying her four children to their soccer practice games and not auto enthusiasts trying to make their cars a mix of science and art. When it comes to cars we pay more taxes than the mom in her minivan filled with kids, we've brought up the aftermarket business into a billion dollar industry, we buy tires more, we upgrade everything we can. Until we as auto enthusiasts can come up with something like Boston's Tea Party, I doubt we will ever be heard.

In New Hampshire, if you're over 18 you don't have to wear a seat belt, what's interesting is NH car insurance is much cheaper than most states that have very strict safety auto laws.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Motorcyclists are seen as a seperate group while automobiles are driven by the majority and not just a small group, so when laws are made for cars/trucks/suvs, our politicians think they are only saving mom carrying her four children to their soccer practice games and not auto enthusiasts trying to make their cars a mix of science and art.
very well put

·
Registered
41 Posts
Plus: airbags are a change made to the equipment....Helmets would be a change made to the operator. It's like making cage drivers wear a cup.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Helmet laws for bikes are a very divisive issue - there are many people who say that helmets increase your risk in a motorcycle accident or even of having an accident. It seems like people (and "institutes") on both sides of the issue are so biased that you can't really get good data on it. At this point I'm willing to believe the anti-helmet people as much as the pro-helmet people.

Personally I think that so long as you can pay your own hospital bills you should be able to wear or not a helmet even if they do offer greater protection. Everyone telling everyone else what to do with their own lives is one of the reasons this country has such [censored]ed up laws.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
did you know that its against the law to wear a helmet while driving a car (well at least here, but i think its in other places)...they say its like tint that the officer would have trouble id'g you (as if a 'guy in a helmet' is hard to not spot anyway). i know somebody who got a ticket for that, he was protested vehicle safety and wore his racing helmet in his protest.

gh3y

-Ult

1 - 9 of 9 Posts