Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passanger side brake drum is making a grinding noise when it rotates. Is this the bearing? What do I need to do to fix whatever it is?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already done all that. I am in the process of painting my rims. When I had my rims off my car and my car on jacks, I started it up, and shifted up through the gears and noticed that I didn't hear the noise that my car was making on the road. So based on that I went around to the rear passanger side to look (because thats where we noticed the sound most prominantly) I rotated the drum by hand and noticed the grinding sound from that. I know its not normal because the drivers side rotates smoothly and doesn't make any sounds at all while it turns. So should I take off the drum to find out more? If so, how do I do that?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
With the wheel on the car & the ass end in the air, grab the wheel/tire at the 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock positions. Move the wheel shifting from the left to the right as if you were trying to remove it from the car. Does the wheel feel loose? If so it is a bad bearing. My '00 ZX3 had the same noises. The bearing is an easy/cheap fix. All you need is access to a press to press the old bearing out and the new bearing in. There was a recall on the rear bearings, so depending on the year of your car you may get the work done for free at a dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts