Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I started on my passenger rear this evening to do my springs/struts, and i got [censored] nowhere! The bolt that holds the control Arm is stripped and is just spinning, its halfway thru the nut, wont go either way. WTF do i do? I'm stranded and i have no clue what to do to get the bolt out. I'm going to replace it but i need it out, HELP!!!

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
ok, calm down.

which bolt? you are on the passenger rear corner. there is a bolt that holds the lower control arm to the cross piece, a bolt that holds the lower control arm to the hub, a bolt that holds the upper control arm to the hub, and a bolt that holds the shock.

If you are talking about the bolt that holds the lower control arm to the hub, have you tried supporting the spring perch with a jack to take the tension off it?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, drivers side rear. but no difference. Yes I have a floor jack under the spring to take pressure off the bolt. Its the bolt that holds the spring perch up, I am trying to get that out so it will drop down to release the spring. What to do?

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
so its the outermost bolt. Is the bolt stuck in the bushing? has the bolt exited one side of the arm and is like halfway out?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its not out of the nut yet. its halfway thru, just spins and spins

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
do you have anyone there to help you?

have someone take a screwdriver or something small enough to fit thru the nut. put pressure on the end of the bolt while you try to unscrew the bolt. if need be, have them hit the screwdriver or punch with a hammer while you try to back it out.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No help, but I will try that. Why does god hate me? The first mod to my new car and I don't even feel like moving on. lol, thanks for your help, i'll post back in a few.

Matt

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
dont sweat it, everything I do to my car involves major problems and alot of swearing.

If you are absolutely stuck, and you prally need a new control arm, (unless you have a welder friend that can tack another nut on) grind off the nut and drive or drill the bolt out. then you can either repair the arm (if the bushing dosent get damaged) or go get another arm and bolt.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm 99.9% sure that bolt is stuck in the metal sleeve in the middle of the bushing. You're not going to get that sucker out any other way except to cut it out. It's possible you've also messed up the nut and you'll need to replace that too. It took me two weekends and lots of frustration to sort it all out.

The easiest way to fix this is to cut out the bolts at each end holding on the control arms. Then, replace the control arm and ALL the hardware. Not cheap, but then you don't run the risk of trying to slap it back together with ruined bushings, and it should go back together just like stock.

You can try to cut out the bolt and, if the bushing isn't too trashed, replace the bolt and metal sleeve. You can also opt to take the control arm to the shop and have them press in new poly bushings. The dealer will take the cheap and easy route though, as Ford doesn't sell the bushings separate.

As for the nut, I wouldn't personally recommend any solution that doesn't involve tack welding a new nut on. However, I got away with cutting off the welded nut, and replacing it with the nut for the alignment bolts (the bolts holding on the control arm in the center), which is self-locking. I augmented that with Loctite and a lock washer, and replaced the bolt with a longer version (as the spindle the control arm attaches to has been forced farther apart, and the stock bolt is too short to span the distance now.

Rust-belt Foci don't fare very well when they're taken apart after a winter or two. Anything beyond a simple shock and strut swap will be very frustrating, and may require outright replacement of suspension parts with those that haven't seen road salt. Can we say screwed???

For tonight though, you're f*****. Oh, and God doesn't hate you. Ford does.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
and why cant the bolt be freed from the sleeve?

I have said it a million times and I will keep saying it untill everyone who hears my name immediately thinks of it: BUY A FREAKING IMPACT GUN!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
A new lower control arm cost me $62. I was in the same boat, except my nut just seized completely. TXFO is right, if i had spent $150-$200 to get a cheap impact wrench and compressor and basic socket set, I probably could have saved myself the $767.89 check I had to write to Ford to cover the service (they did the whole SVT kit for me, I had to put the rear back together and drive it to the dealer with that bolt half in, pretty much [censored] my pants doing it, my remaining pride didn't let me call a tow truck) Get a new control arm, get air tools if you want to finish it, and try to find a private shop to do the work for you if you aren't going to finish it. It will be MUCH less expensive, as in at least $500 less expensive. But you need that part it sounds like, so what you may want to do if have Ford do the rear and a private shop do the front. You'd at least save some money then. Good luck, for me it was a nightmare, but I learned my lesson. O yah, and now I have a grand in my car's suspension...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So wait, that bushing in the middle, that can't be taken out and replaced? Yes I think that's whats holding me up b/c it turns and turns, doesnt want to let go of the bolt. I tried the other rear as well. Same thing, just not as bad. I am going to get my friend to cut the bolt off w/ a torch tomorrow.

So i can't just replace the bolt, nut and bushing? I have to replace the bolt, nut and lower control arm? [censored]!!!

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
I am stil waiting for someone to explain to me why you cant free the bolt from the bushing sleeve. I feel very stronly that if you thread the bolt back thru the nut and then loosen it again with an impact gun, it will come right out.

MC9ZX3 - check with bat inc about the bushing, there might be a replacement.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
oh, for other people who do not have impact guns and dont weant to run into this problem: you can also remoe the bot that connects the arm to the crossmember. that will free the spring too. It is an eccentric bolt and will affect the toe but youw ill be getting an alignment anyways so no biggie.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
The reason you can't free the bolt is because the bushing is made up of 3 parts.

the inner metal sleeve.
the 2 rubber ends
and the outer shell.

The bolt goes through the metal inner sleeve to the other side and into the nut.

what prolly happened is that you turned the bolt, the sleeve tried to turn with it because its siezed together and then the sleeved torn itself apart from the rubber pieces.

now you've got a bolt that is twice as wide trying to fit through an itsy bitsy hole to remove it.

it spins and spins but it won't come out...no amount of pounding on the other side of the bolt where the nut is, is goign to remove it.

you need to cut off, and get a new bolt.

but you'll also need a bushing but the bushing doesn't come seperatly, so you'll need to order a new control arm. the lower control arm to be exact.

thats just how it is. that or oder the Poly-u rear suspension bushings but thats so much of a paint in teh ass, that its not worth it.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
It would just take a press to replace the bushing right?

what if he just tightened the bolt back up and removed the eccentric bolt instead? The bushing would be a little squeeky but would still serve its purpose right?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just ordered new rear lower control arms from the dealer this morning. I need to be able to drive the car ASAP, so this was my only option. Parts will be here tomorrow. Meanwhile, my front went on like PIE! Damn it looks good.
Will post up tomorrow after I hopefully fix the problem w/ the rear suspension.

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am stil waiting for someone to explain to me why you cant free the bolt from the bushing sleeve. I feel very stronly that if you thread the bolt back thru the nut and then loosen it again with an impact gun, it will come right out.

MC9ZX3 - check with bat inc about the bushing, there might be a replacement.
dont sweat it, everything I do to my car involves major problems and alot of swearing.

If you are absolutely stuck, and you prally need a new control arm, (unless you have a welder friend that can tack another nut on) grind off the nut and drive or drill the bolt out. then you can either repair the arm (if the bushing dosent get damaged) or go get another arm and bolt.
[/QUOTE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts